1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

as long as taxpayer dollars are not going to bail out they/them

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Support the troops! Wait, nevermind!

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Isn't that the whole purpose of the FDIC, to protect depositors?

As for the investors, as the saying goes, sometimes you buy the dips, sometimes they buy you.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

whatever you do, don't call it a

FA-18-ejection-seat.jpg

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Boomers have been lining their pockets at the expense of younger generations for decades.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How have I been doing that? :eek:

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

and then there's the racism . . .

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Well, the WSJ set blamed 2008 on minorities and poor people wanting to buy homes. This time it’s black and gay people on bank boards.

Progress….I guess?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just shut up and gimme everything in the till, then open the safe.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I had already e-mailed him. It was bad enough that he did a "reach for yield" narrative and compared the situation to Bear Stearns and Lehman, whose "reach for yield" had them piling into deratives that were highly leveraged (they jumped into a speculative bubble, nothing like that happened here). ... He states that it was a bank that looked more like a money-market fund than a bank. Um, no. It had a portfolio of treasuries and mortgage-backed securities, not commercial paper.

It's bad enough that he is writing about something he doesn't even understand, but that crap at the end of the piece was just offensive. They could have been out looking for martians and mermaids to be on their BoD, and it would have had nothing to do with the fact that they fell victim to duration risk that is biting the whole world in the ass because the Fed went on a rate hiking cycle. Then, he throws in that BS. ... just offensive.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

OK, an honest question from someone with a very slim knowledge of the banking world.

In my neck of the woods, many of the local Podunk Savings and Loan presidents are posting statements such as "Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank are different kinds of institutions! We invest in Joe Blow's mortgage and Karen Smith's local business! Our finances and assets are rock solid, so don't panic!"

The fact that just about every local bank and credit union is posting these statements online (or sending them along to my newspaper) makes this cynical ol' reporter panic.

So if the FDIC or other federal insurers of depositors' assets are paying out a whole lot of money to contain the damage in California and New York, how does that red ink not spread further throughout the nation's banking industry?

Draft saved Draft deleted