1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

In Fairfield County, CT, it’s windy with a biting cold, but the snow — which started about noon — isn’t sticking so far. Gonna be a lot of coastal flooding and I only live a half block from Long Island Sound, so fingers crossed.

Good luck, Gee

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Warm before the (weak) storm here today. In the 60s, chance to hit 70 Wednesday before some snow moves in.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, in California not far from Pajaro, I just watched a girl fly by in her house and someone riding a broom.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's one way to bring some warmer weather to the snowbound north.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're renovating the airport in Key West — sadly, I think the awesome experience of stepping off the plane, feeling the tropical heat and smelling the sea breeze as you walk across the tarmac will be no more — and the statues needed to be moved for the time being.
    Just thought it was funny and didn't know where else to post it, so I tied it into the weather.

Michael_ Gee and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We had snow flurries on Sunday morning, freeze warnings on Tuesday, and today and tomorrow are supposed to be record highs of 79-80.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sunny and 63 yesterday, a real spring day in Microville. Then we had thunder in the afternoon, a huge rainstorm/hailstorm about 10 miles away, and today it's gray again, 46 and drizzle, with snow warnings for Friday and Saturday morning.

Like someone here said (Dan Oregon?) a PNW winter is livable but spring, or the lack thereof, will suck the soul right out of you. God I am sick of this crap.

Friday AM edit: Wet snow, about an inch. Now it's slush. It still sucks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    maumann likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tornados popping in Mississippi tonight. Friend of mine just posted on Facebook that her parents are unhurt but their house in the Delta is gone.

Batman likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got that effect stepping off the plane in Fort Myers (RSW).

Almost as bad as Manila.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Several small towns in the Delta took a direct hit from a tornado that was on the ground for at least an hour and covered about 70 miles. It rolled up Highway 61 for a bit and then across the no man's land between there and I-55. If you're familiar at all with the Mississippi Delta, Rolling Fork and Anguilla (about 50 miles northwest of Jackson) took the brunt of it.
    The storm really blew up right at 8 p.m., so reports are still coming in as people get their wits about them or arrive on scene, but it looks very bad. People are being sent to hospitals in Vicksburg about 40 miles to the south. There are gas leaks, people trapped in houses, and power lines are down. One of our local officials headed up that way to help and told our news editor it was comparable to Katrina.

These are small towns, anywhere from a few hundred to a couple thousand people apiece at most. Rural farming communities, which is good (fewer people) and awful (fewer resources to handle a disaster). Even if injuries are minimal — and sadly, it doesn't look like they are — there is going to be a lot of damage to towns that already don't have much to hang their hat on.

EDIT TO ADD: The tornado that hit those towns near the Mississippi River at 8 p.m. CDT is still a warned storm two hours and 100 miles later.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted