1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

When I would make college basketball trips to the East Coast I was always amazed how tiny a lot of D1 programs‘ gyms were. We felt like we were kinda small with a 13,000-seat arena and then went to play in a closet.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

About one of every three on ESPN's Tournament Challenge had FAU and a surprising portion -- 3.8% had Purdue. So maybe 1%? Probably less than that. I am curious to learn the answer.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well …
    NCSU men lost to Creighton.
    Hockey team got dumped in the Centre of the Hockey Universe.
    NCSU women lost to Princeton.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day. It’s not easy being green.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

FAU vs. FDU. Loser has to go by their full school name for the next year.

5. tapintoamerica

A brief Google search failed to deliver answers. Does anybody know how the 26-year-old Memphis guy didn't play college basketball until age 22?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I just looked it up out of curiosity. Florida Atlantic averaged about 2,200 fans at its home games this year.

Fairleigh Dickinson averaged slightly less than 700 fans. Per game.

Hermes likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

And of them, how many are paying customers? This, I presume, has to be another athletics department excessively subsidized by student fees.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My favorite low attendance game was at Eastern Michigan during a snow storm. I counted 32 people in the arena.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When you can’t just buy all the best players in the city for a high school title.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I enjoy watching bad things happen to Bobby Hurley on a basketball court.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

TCU wins opening round of a playoff, draws Bulldogs next. I’m sure it will go fine.

Batman likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Apparently he got duped into playing for some fly-by-night high school with the promise of a scholarship. Not only did he not get one, his “high school” wasn’t accredited and he had to do adult school to get an actual diploma that colleges would accept.

I think there’s an Athletic article about him. I think this site ripped off the Athletic

https://www.outkick.com/penny-hardaway-upset-deandre-williams-age-oldest-player-college-basketball/

EDIT other places say he just did a post-high-school program that delayed his college run.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted