1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Fairly certain no FAU students pay to get into any sporting events. It’s not your traditional campus environment as it has a commuter feel to it but they have new dorms (which are really nice).

My daughter hates football (clueless kid, haha) but she does go to the basketball games and the men have been really good all year. Their facilities are great but they have no tradition. (Florida International, down in Miami, is a surprisingly fantastic campus. Everything is “new” but they tried to give it an old campus feel.)

The benefit to FAU: it only rains there in September and the ocean is 2.3 miles from campus. She goes surfing when most of us are watching football. Plus… Boca Raton.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This isn't true.

2015 -- lost as a 9 seed to Cincinnati
    2016 -- lost as a 5 seed to Little Rock
    2021 -- lost as a 4 seed to North Texas
    2023 -- lost as a 1 seed to FDU

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Your math is impeccable. All the 5s won, as did all the 3s. A 1,2 and 4 lost, so of those 20 games, 3 upsets, for an 85 percent favorite success rate. For that matter, only one 6 lost (Iowa State) and one 7 (Texas A&M). The West regional was all chalk, with seeds 1-8 all advancing to the second round.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The 1988 loss in Pontiac to Kansas State was wild. I’m a Kansas fan and they won earlier in the Sweet 16 over Vanderbilt as a 6-seed. I knew Purdue would kill them on Sunday.

Then top-seedPurdue gets up 10-0 on Kansas State and I shut the TV off.

Called the KMOX score phone (314-321-1111… holy crap, I still know this) the next morning and discovered K-State won.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of the usual suspect conferences, SEC has six teams left in field of 32, Big Ten has five, Big 12 has five, Big East four, ACC three. Big East, BTW, is only one of them to have all its qualifiers advance through first round. Marquette, UConn, Creighton and Xavier all won.
    PS: Strike that last sentence. Providence lost. Big East 4-1.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd be stunned if Duke isn't in the Final Four at this point. They get a wounded Tennessee team, then FAU or FDU, then Marquette/Michigan State/Kansas State/Kentucky. All winnable.

Of the three No. 1s that got through, Houston has the toughest road left -- Auburn in Birmingham, then Miami or Indiana. I don't think the Cougars escape that, especially with Sasser's injury situation.

Kansas has an extremely tough road ahead too. Arkansas is more talented than most 8 seeds. Saint Mary's is a pain in the ass to play against. And you've got Gonzaga and UCLA lurking on the other side of the bracket.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, only 77 people would know.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

You forgot 2022 and St Peter’s
    Losing as a 6 was 2011
    The rest are correct

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Big Ten likely to go 0-3 today
    Best chances to win are Michigan State and Indiana on Sunday but the B1G could be done by the end of the weekend

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Indiana looked tons more athletic than I had imagined. Lots of swats, dunks.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why Penn State's still being written off after what Pickett and Funk did Thursday night.

They could lose to anybody. And they could beat just about anyone, too.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

As bad as I hate to say it, I think Auburn clips Houston today.

Draft saved Draft deleted