1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Turns out greed is not so good.

ghows-LK-593c165b-3909-4853-e053-0100007f4584-e30ebf0e.jpeg

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Yes, you can. To use Silicon Valley Bank as an example it is reported under footnote 9 on page 125 of their latest 10-K. The footnote reported that the bank had lost over 15 billion dollars on securities designated as "Hold to Maturity" while the bank had slightly more than 16 billion dollars of equity.

I will agree that since the loss was for the fiscal year ending on December 31, 2022 that the losses the bank had suffered in the first part of the year were not yet reported.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have time to pull up a 10K. ... but my (albeit somewhat limited) understanding is that Hold to Maturity (they call it HTM) is an ACCOUNTING designation that actually gives someone like you or me even less insight to what their actual losses they might have been if it played out before a bail out.

Banks can designate bond holdings as Hold to Maturity (HTM) , Available for Sale (AFS) or Held for Trading (HFT). And that was precisely the problem.

Banks have all designating what they own as HTM precisely because it doesn't force them to mark to market and demonstrate that they are really under water. So their treasury and MBS holdings get carried on the balance sheet as an amortized cost. What I believe you are getting from that 10K. ... is the AMORTIZED cost. I believe there is no way to know specifically what they own and what they bought each of the bonds for, unless you look at the actual portfolio and then mark it to market based on where the market is today. That doesn't even tell you what the actual losses would be, either, because banks selling would be a self-fulfilling event that drives prices down even further and would magnify their realized losses.

The obvious problem with them designating bonds as HTM. ... is that a run on the bank made it so that SVB had to sell bonds rather than collect a coupon (which in itself as a problem, because they were being paid peanuts relative to yields now, crippling them as a bank) and REALLY hold to maturity. It sold bonds to raise money and THAT is what showed us just exactly what the realized loss (on just a small portion of their portfolio they were able to sell) was.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't defend the accounting principal that gives a bank the discretion when to run a loss of their securities through the income statement.

But my understanding of the way the loss is calculated is that the bank values the portfolio to market on December 31. Then they calculate the difference between the market value and the cost. I think the number that is reported in the footnote is an accurate number for that date.

Back to my original point. I do not think FDIC or the Fed publicly releases the HTM losses. I hope they track them. But it would be possible for someone to go through the 10-K's of the largest banks and compile a figure. If the 620 billion number was compiled that way (the Economist does not cite a source) it would be a pretty good number. The number would, of course, be outdated when released because financial reports are released about two months after the close of the quarter.

5. The Big Ragu

I honesly don't know enough about that bank's balance sheet or the accounting rules.

But suppose they were under water to the tune of $15 billion on a marked to market basis. ... and that is spelled out on page 125 (or wherever you said) in a footnote in their 10K. ...

What I do know something about is order flow in the treasury bond market. ... and if that bank had stepped in to sell a $90 + billion bond portfolio, with the relative illiquidity the Fed has already caused, there is little chances their losses would have been limited to $15 billion. Then add in all of the banks that would immediately be losing deposits in that environment (what we started to see) and would be stepping in in a panic to sell long-dated bonds. ... and however you were marking to market those losses on December 31, 2022 is just silly in that environment.

This is not a problem of $620 in losses the way it ever REALLY plays out. ... you are looking at several trillions of dollars of losses as liquidity dries up. That isn't speculation or a seeing eye guess. It's how markets actually trade, made worse by the illiquidity the dopes who caused this have left in what was traditionally the most liquid, price-stable market in the world.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is just from a layman's standpoint, but it feels like the big difference this time is we're at a point where the usual solutions might not be available.
    At the end of the day, the biggest solution to any financial crisis we've previously encountered has been the attitude of, "We're the United States of America. It might hurt for a while, but we'll take some regulatory measures and it'll work itself out." It's rooted in the faith that the government has our best interests at heart and will solve the problem, and if we maintain that faith things will smooth out eventually.

This time, we might have reached a point where some of the usual measures won't work, or the powers that be don't want them to work, and there's no backstop to prevent a quick slide into the abyss.
    There are other things in play coming from different angles that are designed to completely transform our concept of money as we know it. Like the FedNow system — coming to a bank near you this summer — whose purpose appears to be to transition us away from paper money, and to a digital currency totally controlled by the Federal Reserve. A banking/financial crisis seems like the perfect time to roll that beast out the door, right?
    There are also a bunch of proposals or already-passed legislation that, no matter how well-intentioned — like the hard pivot away from fossil fuels and to green energy — seem foolish when you're staring an economic disaster in the face. Yet there is no pullback from those, only billions and trillions more spent on them.

Maybe we have been here before. Hopefully we're around long enough to be here again. It just feels like we're about to embark on a long, hard road a lot of us might not see the end of.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

We've reached the point where one party, in particular the congressional members of that party, would actively like to see the US economy collapse because Brandon is in office. So it's hard to find a solution when one major political party doesn't even want to get involved.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I read these posts and all I think is that we've come a long way from "we have nothing to fear but fear itself." Unfortunately, not in the right direction.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

FDR said that in 1932. The unemployment rate in 1933 was 25 percent. The U.S. did not match 1929's GNP. ... for more than a decade.

That is not me suggesting we are going into the great depression. But I do know that we have monetized a shit load of debt over the last couple of decades, which stole growth from the future and misallocated a great deal of that capital, making it so that we won't be left with anything productive for it.

That IS NOT (already is not) going to be consequence free.

Also, the main reason for all of that debt monitization isn't that they are trying to spur runaway private debt levels. That is the collateral damage that has great potential to dry up global credit for years and cause a great deal of economic pain.

The only way our Federal government was able to keep running up larger and larger debt levels, was that debt monetization. And that is what was at work. It was not the result of one political party or the other, it was two political parties that seperately and together have not done the country any favors.

Whether people realize it or not, these two graphs, in tandem, are what should be creating a healthy dose of fear in people. If there had been a little more fear for last 15 years, what is on the horizon wouldn't have been quite as potentially bad as it may be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SFIND likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I find it fascinating that when a bank perceived to be "liberal" struggles or goes out - it's "go woke and go broke" but when a conservative one does it's "crime."

Draft saved Draft deleted