1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, if you're on-air, you're being paid in part not to fuck up in actionable ways like this.

The other thing is, the statement doesn't make much sense even as a Mila Kunis reference.

Does he try to say "Mila Kunis" and it comes out "Mina Kimes"?

Uh, maybe.

But 'nips' is the prompt.

Much more likely it was a race joke.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    wicked likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Much more likely wouldn't get a jury to convict.

If they were talking about any other fucking thing besides whiskey then the Kunis Defense™ doesn't fly.

But they were talking about whiskey and Mina's/Mila's names sound alike, both of them are world class cute, the deejay might have one or both working teller windows in his spank bank, and Kunis works in the world of whiskey nips.

He fucked up. He just got suspended for a week. But the excuse is well within the parameters of passing the smell test.

I haven't looked and likely won't but has Chris Curtis ever made racist comments on air?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing he should be fired.

But this isn't a jury trial and the standard isn't "beyond a reasonable doubt."

"Nips" of whiskey? OK. Or he meant "nips" as in "nip slip" and landed on Kunis? OK.

Those are all pretty laughable excuses, for which Curtis is being correctly roasted.

WEEI's Chris Curtis Denies Making Racist Joke About Mina Kimes

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    tapintoamerica and wicked like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Honest boss, I was aiming for sexist but landed on racist. Sorry."

5. Songbird

But it should be intellectually argued here as if it is a jury trial in order come to an honest consensus. This isn't fucking Reddit.

As long as Kunis hawks fire water, the excuse is in the game.

6. Songbird

Also, will be interesting to see if Curtis apologizes to Mina and, if he does, if she accepts it.

Words are, of course, the powerful drug used by mankind. -- Kipling

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Area man working feverishly to preserve space for excusing racist jokes.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then the video evidence is pretty damning.

Curtis looks around to see who got his sly little wisecrack.

Do you have any counter evidence that they had discussed Mila Kunis or her bourbon or her poster for her bourbon, etc., etc.?

In other words, is there any proximate cause that Curtis's brain would misfire in such way?

9. Songbird

Plenty of similarities in names and looks.

He may have been half drunk and/or hung over. Fatigue and/or little sleep. Cocaine. Crack. Pot. Heroin. Tranq.

Maybe he planned to bring up Kunis in a segment and maybe he also watched Kimes that day or the night before or even recently and maybe he conflates the two often.

Any number of things contributed to his mouth working faster than his brain, in the moment, trying to crack wise.

It was either Freudian or Racist, or somewhere in the middle.

But Kunis sells the exact thing they were talking about, alcohol. Instead he said Kimes.

Edit: Also, what's the reaction if he pulls off the quip and says Kunis?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Appears someone here has had too many nips.

Meanwhile ...

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The ability to articulate something through painfully tortured logic which makes zero sense is not an excuse or a justification. He made a racist statement which he thought was funny. He should apologize (or not) and move on. His target audience won’t care and can grouse about cancel culture.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Your honor, I was drunk when I said my racist mistake into a hot mic on a live radio show in the 9th largest market in America," isn't much of an argument ender.

Draft saved Draft deleted