1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Objection, your honor. Speculation."

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Alcoholism doesn't turn you into a racist.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No but sometimes it causes a mushy brain to conflate people, places, things.

What's his history as a racist?

5. TheSportsPredictor

Calling someone of Asian descent a nip.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We are approaching the ethics in gaming journalism level of excuses. He said something mildly racist which he thought was funny. Then concocted an implausible excuse instead of owning up to it.

sgreenwell and wicked like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, "My alcoholism renders me incapable of doing my job," isn't much of a defense.

It's a live radio show, and he's being paid - handsomely, one assumes - to meet the minimum performance standard required of someone speaking on live radio.

Boston sports talk radio, racist or sexist?

Your honor, I beseech you!

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I saw something yesterday that really crystallized the issue for me (and it wasn’t discussing talk radio at all.)

“White people look at racism as a matter of intent and not impact.”

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

White people aren't a monolithic group where everyone in the race sees the world lock step in one way. Take two white people. ... and their experiences and paths in life may are not going to be the same. ... and their attitudes or beliefs are going to be unique to them as individuals.

Yet, in way too many discussions about racism, you have people making generalized statements like "white people think," because people think it strengthens whatever standpoint they have to paint a whole racial group with a really broad brush.

It's to the point now where racists generalize that way. ... and supposed non-racists or anti-racists now think it is OK, too.

It's actually really destructive.

Azrael likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

Yet we have those who cross to the other side of the street when a black person is walking toward them because of something they saw another black person do on the news.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is dead on for a number of topics, including race. That’s how we get the mealy mouthed “sorry if I offended someone” non-apologies.

Draft saved Draft deleted