1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Suspended for a week.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Kimes with the awesome takedown of culture warrior Whitlock.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You could see that coming a million miles away.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So Curtis was referring to Kaufmnn?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mina Kimes didn't ask for this shit. ... some radio idiot says her name, and all of a sudden she's getting the stupid Whitlock treatment. That was pretty well handled.

I also love the fact that she changed her Twitter photo to a picture of Mila Kunis.

She's got a good sense of humor.

OscarMadison and Fred siegle like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Have you seen what Southern states are doing with teaching the racial history of this country?
    There are spots where the government is actively engaging in racist thinking ie what can and cannot be taught in school. There are spots where it's passive. Institutions that were established to keep certain people out or marginalize others predate any who are in power but people in power don't change those systems (or legitimate reasons or otherwise). There are also ways the government is actively combating certain practices (ie fair housing and what used to be the voting rights act).

As for individuals, to say everyone is a little racist is an un-nuanced way of saying we all have certain biases for or against certain groups based on a multitude of factors. Plus there's what we know and what we don't know. What we don't know can lead to an unintentional racist moment. What we do after is what matters and determines if we are, ourselves, racist.

For example, making a racist comment and trying to defend said racist comment by saying you were in fact making a sexist comment. Or defending the person who made a racist comment and trying to excuse it

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Like Mila Kunis and her character on "That '70s Show," Mina Kimes know the concept of a great "BUUUURN!"

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

We had a three-hour training on Managing Bias yesterday in good old Greenwich, CT, and more than one person exhibited this very tenet. I'm not the most sensitive person in the world when it comes to things like this (as has been pointed out on this board), but damn if people in this training session couldn't grasp how asking where people's ancestors are from is not something people tend to take well. It's all about couching things properly and without driving at something. What Curtis said was obviously racist and intentional.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't buy into Ron DeSantis's "woke indoctrination" bullshit, which to some extent is a dog whistle to certain racist individuals.

But guess what. ... state & local governments control what gets taught in schools. Always have. And the law that Florida passed -- when you get past the name that was intentionally designed to trigger people and stir shit -- is pretty careful in what it does and doesn't do. It bars instruction that says one race is "inherently" racist, and that they should feel guilt for past actions commited by people of the same race as them or that a person's status as "privileged" or "oppressed" is determined by their race. It bars teaching the notion that meritocracy is racist or that discrimination is OK in order to achieve "diversity."

Racism by definition is discrimination against a person on the basis of their race. Such as, "You are black. You can't drink from this fountain." The law in Florida is stupid, and I'd personally prefer our schools be open to everything and anything and hope that kids can learn to think critically for themselves. But it's actually not a good example of govenmental racism (which would not get very far in 2023).

That law is pushback from an opposite movement that has been just as harmful to people's attitudes about race in this country and actually comes closer to the actual definition of racism, because it aims to separate people by race (kids being told one is "privileged" because of their race; the other is "oppressed" because of his or her race).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

https://awfulannouncing.com/radio/w...ogizes-racial-joke-mina-kimes-mila-kunis.html

“In a pathetic failed attempt at a one-liner, I attempted to bring up Mila Kunis, which was not really that funny – sophomoric and sexist,” Curtis began. “But for reasons I don’t understand, I said Mina Kimes. That was never the intention for me to say her name. It had nothing to do with the subject matter and it dragged her into a controversy through no fault of her own regarding a slur and her race and is not at all what my intention was, but it doesn’t matter because of the absolute chaos that my words created for someone who’s just doing her job covering the NFL at ESPN.

“So, I want to apologize to Mina Kimes, I want to apologize for the stupid, lame attempt at a joke, it was something that just, there’s really no other way to put it, it was dumb and it was silly. And it’s brought a lot of things to the forefront for people that did nothing wrong and it’s all because I had a clumsy attempt to try and bring humor to a story in Boston.”​

Draft saved Draft deleted