1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Does he do ads for a hard liquor company? The WEEI fool is probably going to be on Fox News by tomorrow.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Because someone at that publishing company went too far in what is now a stupidly charged environment in which every idiot is trying to control a culture war narrative, and when it bit them in the ass because (rightly) people made an issue out of it, they quickly changed it back?

Azrael likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes.

Because all the racist revisionist hokum being promulgated by De Santis in Florida and other governments elsewhere, like Texas - and at the local school board level - has the same chilling, self-censoring effect on other publishers and other libraries and librarians and school systems

All of which is in service of protecting the future feelings of white students.

Revising history to suit the sensitivities of white folks seems like the very definition of privilege, doesn't it?

It does.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are creating a narrative.

Racism exists. So I'll head off someone else trying to turn what I am saying into a denial that there is racism or that there aren't plenty of racist people out there. Of course there are.

But we have a history of Jim Crow laws in our not-so-distant past. ACTUAL governmental racism.

In 2023, we don't have laws that discriminate against people on the basis of their race. We just don't. And to the extent we have racist legistators or executives who would try to put those kinds of laws in place, they aren't getting very far in 2023; not through our judiciary. It's stark how far we have come from the pre civil rights era.

If anything, we have even seen laws being passed that do the exact opposite, trying to give preference to some people on the basis of their race, which by definition actually is discriminatory to someone else.

We don't have any laws barring anyone from running for office on the basis of their race, and in fact, we have now had a black president, a black woman for a vice president. Not that even that would be the determinant of our government being racist, since everyone of any race is free to run for any elected office in this country.

Government in this country is not a racist institution.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I skipped most of the last two pages, admittedly.

Anyway, we're all born with biases. Those biases aren't from nature. They're nurtured during our childhood and often reinforced when we're young adults.

Race is the near-universal one. The country was founded by white men. Their worldviews were shaped by that reality. I don't care how much of a feminist John Adams was, it was him in the room and not Abigail.

So we're all privileged. Whether it's white privilege, middle-class privilege, privilege because 90 percent of people in journalism nowadays have four-year degrees and are more educated than someone who dropped out in ninth grade... it's privilege.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

oof

While I agree that the schoolbook erasure of black history may not be the best example of government racism, and that de facto examples of racism in our governments may now outnumber the de jure examples of racism in our governments, the expressions of racism and race preference in and by our government are still pretty stark. Stop-and-frisk is a great example. In theory and law it is race-neutral. In practice and in fact it is as racist as fuck.

The race battles in this country since the end of the Civil War and the beginning of Reconstruction are still being fought.

www.npr.org/2022/10/04/1126619000/voting-rights-act-supreme-court

www.npr.org/2023/02/26/1157248572/supreme-court-voting-rights-act-private-right-of-action-arkansas

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

To your heading off comment, I was more agreeing with you and being critical of Azrael's blanket statement.

And I largely agree with your response to mine. My push back is there is a racist motive to the changes in school curricula even if they don't come out and say "WE ARE BEING RACIST!!!!!" The fact the people who decide on school curricula are worried about making white people feel bad that our country has a racist past so they don't want teachers teaching it is a problem. And teachers in danger of losing jobs as a result, that certainly sniffs of racist.

I respect if you disagree and I don't want to imply anything for it but that is my opinion based on what I think is reasonable.

TL;DR: I agree with you more than others.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

wicked and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Takin' it back.

[​IMG]

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Culture War Bromance of Ron DeSantis and Chris Rufo

Part mercenary and part emissary, a mix of a think-tank wonk and a social-media troll, Rufo for the last year and a half has been a main source and surrogate for what DeSantis has sought to make his signature — school boards and higher ed, Disney and issues of teaching and tolerance of gender and sexuality, the overarching palette of policies that DeSantis describes as “anti-woke” and that has been the primary political fuel of his post-pandemic ascent. Rufo has shared stages with DeSantis around Florida. He has been a participant in one-sided roundtables of ideologically simpatico speakers to create content that can double as ammunition and bait. Now, though, he has his most formal role to date — at the fore of DeSantis’ New College offensive, which is part of a broader statewide effort, all of which is very much a linchpin of his everything-but-announced 2024 presidential campaign. DeSantis in his recent book to seed his expected White House bid not only namechecked Rufo but cited his work in 11 separate bullet points across portions of three pages. Rufo has his own book coming out in July. They share a publisher. They share an editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted