1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would be stunned.

I know my organization won't, nor would I want them to.

PaperDoll likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nah, they’ll just make the reporters pay for their own check marks.

3. PCLoadLetter

If you run a news organization and have an employee willing to pay for a blue check, you made a bad hire.

wicked likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I didn’t say the employee was willing. I said the employer would make the employee pay.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Appropriate since the platform is run by a Fool ...

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

One of the clowns on so-called "Legal Twitter" (Dr. Alison Gill, who has no practice and runs a podcast network) kicked up a public snit a year or so ago because she couldn't get 'certified.'

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The original idea of the blue check was simply authentication of identity.

Made sense for people in the public sphere, whose accounts might otherwise have been hijacked by trolls and pranksters.

Made less and less sense as time went on however, and they became blue ribbons for status-seekers, and bullseyes for anyone's ideological opponents.

The idea that Elon is now going to sell them to people who want to buy them but not display them is Idiocracy perfected.

wicked likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Verifications benefited TWITTER as much, and likely more, than it did the people doing it. If someone was saying they were Mickey Rourke or Selena Gomez or Zack Greinke or a gazillion other people like that. ... the checkmark next to their name gave other users (and advertisers) more confidence that it wasn't some jackhole pretending to be that person. The verification system gave legitimacy to Twitter as a trusted social media platform. To the extent that it now turns verification into a shitshow that has the opposite effect (it's a bunch of marketers and hucksters trying to get better placement on the platform), he is likely hurting his own interests with this.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Back in the day my career goal at the TV network where I was employed was to get my name on a parking spot.
    Two days after I finally reached it…our show was canceled (FU John Skipper) and I was shown the door.

I feel the same way about the blue check…for years I hoped to get one…but now that I can I don’t want it (FU Elon Musk)!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Batman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is this bad?

Why advertisers aren’t coming back to Twitter

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

This is what I find so remarkable about Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter. He has shown he has no basic understand of the platform's appeal and why people use it.

The "legacy" blue check people ARE the product. I'm on Twitter all the time. I'm there to get thoughts from Spencer Hall, Mina Kimes, Jason Isbell, and a funny drunk lawyer from Phoenix. I'm sure as shit not there to get what @john28576254 thinks about the Jews.

I assume Musk is making some great statement by minimizing the respected voices and boosting the Nazis and suckups and incels, but he's draining what's left of the value of his $44 billion toy.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Musk wants people to talk about him and adore him. Legacy blue check marks won’t do that, but some incel living in his mom’s house who pretends that they are Maggie Haberman will.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted