1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That does it. I'm buying a van and moving to the river.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Deutsche Bank shares plunge, default insurance hits four-year high By Reuters

There is a lot of toxicity that I actually know about on Deutsche Bank's balance sheet, including a commercial real esate portfolio in the U.S. that is under stress. I can't imagine what the unknown (yet) is.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    TigerVols likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Those are the guys who kept giving Trump money. I wouldn't want to trust their judgment, either.

4. The Big Ragu

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

England's HSBC included with the French banks involved. Money laundering and tax fraud.

6. The Big Ragu

If they are going after people for dividend stripping, all those poeple did was buy stock (legally) and sell it later (legally). Their laws to coercively force people to hand over their money are inadequate and don't cover what is a perfectly rational behavior. ... so they are going to raid banks and create headlines to scare people. Lovely.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm gearing up the world's smallest violin for the woes of bankers.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We rarely eat out (mainly because my wife is cheap, and I like to cook), but today is my anniversary, so went to lunch.
    Our bill was $65.
    My wife had a grilled chicken salad - $20
    I had a reuben and fries - $15
    We had 2 beers each at $7.50 per.

I'm sorry, but $65 for two people to eat lunch is insane.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

$15 is what I pay anymore for a sandwich.

I know you live in a much cheaper part of the country, but it seems like that’s about the going rate now.

Driftwood and Batman like this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That fact alone makes them, IMO, deserve their fate. Loaning someone notorious for not paying his bills or loans is a problem.

I get your larger point, but that’s just a waste of good strings. Don’t waste them on stupid, greedy banks.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'll go out once a week for a meal that's in the $20 range. Mostly I'll fix myself a delicious sammich at home or go get an Asian takeout.

I'll hit Sonic, Taco Hell or the double arches if I'm pressed for time.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We're lucky to live in a chowhound neighborhood. Lots of great food for not much money. Especially Chinatown.

There's a great plate of food - full portion of barbecued pork over rice - for $4.99 over on Chrystie Street.

Still, we see prices rising everywhere.

Delivery used to be a regular part of our rotation, as it has been for every New Yorker since time began.

No longer. The delivery disrupters - door dash, grub hub, uber eats, etc - have driven prices through the roof.

Draft saved Draft deleted