1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did the Whistler run out of saliva?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Austin Peay's pitcher and coach were ejected for throwing at a Liberty player on Saturday. Standard stuff, but the shots of them waiting for the pitcher to go to the bus while the coach chills, chats with the umpire and pounds a 2-liter of Mountain Dew with his backpack on are awesome.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Your last two national champions.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Kris Armstrong, the son of former Major League pitcher Jack Armstrong, is lighting it up for JU. Three homers in three consecutive at-bats on Saturday puts him second in the nation behind Caglianone of Florida. Fun fact: Armstrong is a transfer from the Gators.
    https://www.jacksonville.com/story/...ovide-grand-display-of-fireworks/70048855007/
    And JU does not play in a hitter's park: 405 dead center and 340 down the lines.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a possibility that Vanderbilt is a budding juggernaut, which has something to do with that. And then Ole Miss' second SEC series is against a really good Florida team. Florida swept a doubleheader yesterday in two high-scoring games (9-7 and 12-8). Their SEC schedule is also front loaded with tough teams (Vandy, Florida, Arkansas and LSU are all among the first six series) So I'm a bit less worried about Ole Miss, even if they are digging themselves a hole, than I am Mississippi State.
    Mississippi State is an absolute disaster at the moment, and doesn't seem to have any answers. In every postgame interview Chris Lemonis has a deer in the headlights look. I don't think it's because he's clueless, I think it's because he's probably using every trick he can think of and none of them are working. Worse, is that the second half of last season ended the exact same way. You can write off one collapse as "It's baseball, shit happens," but when you have an entire offseason to reboot and it keeps happening it's obvious there might be a deeper problem.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And hit three more today. Don't know what kind of rag-arms Central Arkansas is throwing out there but six homers in eight at-bats in two games in a row is pretty strong.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think at this point, Vanderbilt is just Vanderbilt. Last nine seasons is two titles, two runner-ups

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Obviously. I meant that even by the high standards they might be a very dominant team even by Vanderbilt standards.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Playin' it cool, my man. Playin' it cool.

BTExpress likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tennessee has about 98% of last year's swagger, about 60% of last year's hitting, 115% of last year's base running brain farts and is 0-4 on the road.

Weekend series at LSU may not be pretty.

Draft saved Draft deleted