1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Imagine if he was ever on the same team with Dave Concepcion.

Liut, maumann and swingline like this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I would surmise there haven't been too many catchers opening their season with 5-for-5. Well, at least none in the last 123 years.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Geez, as if things aren't bad enough image-wise for the Angels, now they have to deal with this:

Don't know all the details, and I have no respect for fans yelling out insults while knowing they usually don't have to face the target, but if all he did was call you a name, you just have to let it go and walk into the clubhouse.

4. jr/shotglass

Minor leaguers got paid today. At least, more than they had been.

maumann likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Is there a housing agreement as well?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like the name of a guy who'd have played in 1900

Liut, Batman and jr/shotglass like this.
  7. jr/shotglass

Can't see one, and you're absolutely right ... that's what they should be getting.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean, that pay isn't unlivable, if housing is covered.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dude in the silver jacket didn't do his buddy any favors there.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'd have done backflips if I got that kind of moolah in my radio days. I'm guessing that's still about what decent radio salaries might be hovering at in 2023.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Sure but the 2:30 running time has always been built into the basketball or hockey experience. As Regan noted, most of us wax nostalgic (and otherwise) about the game times of the '70s or '80s. I don't, I like being at the ballpark or watching a lengthy game on television. It used to be neat to see a game end in a Mark Buehrle-like 2:15-2:30. It feels rushed and forced now and I'm not the only one thinking it. The Mets tonight ended in 2:09.

(Howie Rose is not the friend I was talking to last night)

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I haven’t noticed a problem with “taking a beat to let the game breathe,” which sounds like metaphysical bullshit. Maybe Howie Rose’s problem is that Howie Rose didn’t take time in the preseason to figure out what adjustments he’d have to make to his personal process to adapt to the new rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted