1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Baseball always had the potential to be a two hour game. It always had the potential to be a three and a half hour game. And it still does. We’ve eliminated filler. Guys adjusting various items. Or stepping off a bunch. It didn’t serve the game. And we’re forcing by rule what players did 40 years ago and beyond: play.

micropolitan guy and Hermes like this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Nobody who wasn't watching baseball last year is going to watch baseball this year. Just wait for the hand-wringing about the All-Star Game and postseason ratings. Decades of dour "leadership"--all we hear/heard from Manfred and Selig was what was wrong with baseball--have convinced a generation-plus that baseball isn't worth watching. It's working! No one is tuning in to see the new rule changes after being told for so long how much the game sucks.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Baseball has always been worth watching. Guys standing around scratching their nuts, batters adjusting the batting gloves and pitchers stepping on and off the rubber and glowering at the batter for 30 seconds at a time hasn't.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Few of us who grew up watching baseball in the pre-Nomar era have stopped watching baseball. But baseball has had an uncool rep since at least the mid-90s and its "leadership" has done nothing to address that while allowing the more marketing-savvy NFL and NBA--each of which contain pockets of non-play even more dreadfully dull than the worst pocket of non-play in baseball--to win over the younger generations. Anyone who hasn't grown up watching baseball isn't going to jump on board now. Maybe they would have w/the WBC title game which was a "really fucking big deal," except it was televised on fucking FS1, which even baseball fans can't find on their first or second try.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Seventy-three pitches in a 35-minute first inning in Mets-Marlins LOLOLOL

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Springs looking like every bit the stud he was forecast to be this year.

Of course, it is the Tigers.

maumann likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

See you’re addressing problems that are independent of the pace of play. Those need to be solved too, as does the fact games are not 3.5 hours because it’s wall-to-wall action. We’re trying to get more action in games. That’s not terrible.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I must say, I've watched 4-5 games already, and the pace has not bothered me in the least. I really don't notice in real time.

The result is visible -- 2:30 games -- and that's a good thing. But I'm just not sitting there thinking, "Damn, I wish they'd conduct themselves at a more leisurely pace between pitches."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

OmG tHeY aReN’t PlAYiNg BaSeBaLl FaSt
    *clutches pearls *

yeah because they are playing. The rules never stopped them from playing.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And maybe, if this is a resounding success, they can get rid of the ghost runner, since a 14-inning game won't automatically send you to 5-hour hell.

But if they're doing it to save arms, I guess it's here to stay.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I don't care what the non-fans want, just allow us to watch the game we grew up watching. Christ I am starting to sound like the soccer fans - 'leave the game alone'

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Outscored 20-2 so far this series
    Springs out after six no-hit innings

Draft saved Draft deleted