1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 6, 2022.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've got a thick skin but it would be a long day if I was ever on the court dealing with Mulkey's bullshit from trip to final buzzer.

The officiating crew did not rise to the level of the moment.

Your team is a reflection of your coach and, well, that's one of the more classless/unlikable champions in many years.

Roscablo and micropolitan guy like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I grade officiating on a curve. I don't expect college officials to be as good as the pros, just like I don't expect high school officials to be as good as college ones. And officials are athletes and athletes, all of 'em, have bad days. But this crew was supposed to be, or at least the NCAA hoped they were, among the very best in women's basketball. They were lost from the start. This was a 1-16 mismatch, no, a December game scheduled by John Thompson mismatch. I longed for Richie Powers to come down in a cloud and confront Mulkey. I am also envious of super70s sports, who ran a photo of Mulkey and described her as "Siegfried and Roy's sister." The very mots juste.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

She had to have said something, I would think.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If only the officials had gone full tiger …

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Look, it's a tough job. It's a huge moment, but you can't get caught up in it. You've got to keep control of that sideline from the opening tap. Whether it's a December game or the national championship.

They didn't. And Mulkey ran roughshod and then it was too late to bring her back in, not they ever would have because she gets away with it all year and over many years.

She's a bully.And there needed to be someone to step up to the moment and get her under control, national championship game or not.

No one did. And what we ended up with is what as an official you never want: People talking after the game about the officials and not the game. Too bad.

It's a dark cloud on the officiating crew, unfortunately. But it's on them. They have to own it.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

An official can miss calls, but you can’t miss someone screaming at you at half court in a sequined, tiger-print sport suit.

That’s a warning the first time and a T the second time.

LSU was the better team. They win that game at least 4/5 times it’s played. I have no problem with the LSU players.

I hope Biden gives the players the finest prepared meal by the finest chef in DC and Mulkey gets KFC.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Since someone mentioned it.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You must have missed Clark doing the same sort of stuff to Hailey Van Lith of Louisville a couple rounds ago.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mulkey, and the most flagrant violator in the men's game, Izzo, will continue to get away with it until some opposing coach brings it to a head by telling their players to flat-out truck 'em. Make it look good, make it look like an accident, but make sure you're fully on the playing floor, and then go 4-wheel-drive on their ass. (Try to wave both your arms in full helicopter mode as you tumble down.)

Yeah, it'll mean a 68-year-old man or a 5-foot-3 woman getting stomped on live teevee, but tough crap. Obey the rules. Stay off the court.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I believe she told HVL, another big trash talker, to "Shut up, you're losing by 15." She didn't chase her all over the court like Reese did to Clark.

I think this is over the top. But I'm an old man, shaking my fist at the clouds. Others may disagree, I'm cool with that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is there any more info out there about that? Very strange.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think that is probably the biggest thing. She didn’t do something in the heat of the moment and then go celebrate with her teammates. She followed her towards her bench and while everyone else is jumping in a pile. And if Clark had done the exact same thing there would be an outrage. You don’t need to rub it in to that extent

Draft saved Draft deleted