1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Maybe. But they and other MLB teams have been less likely to engage in service-time manipulations in the past two years.
    They were really counting on Rodriguez to be good enough to be a middle-of-the-rotation piece. And he couldn't survive the fourth inning in his Triple-A game the other day. Could be a bust.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Ehh, I don't trust anyone on the Astros tree. Carlos Correa and Yordan Alvarez won the ROY despite being held back until the first week of June...which is when Rodriguez got hurt last year, when his ERA was 2.09, opponents were hitting .168 against him and his K/BB ratio was almost 6:1. There was nothing left for him to do at Triple-A. Would be something if the Orioles wasted some of his best efforts in the minors and now will lose a year or more of his development because of an injury suffered when he was needlessly wasting pitches in Triple-A.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Two unrelated points:

* Last year when I was in Sydney, I could count on waking up on Monday morning and catching the last few innings of a 1:10 ET game. This year, I’m back in Sydney, and the 1:10 games today are already over when I wake up.

* If Tyler Glasnow comes back healthy, the Rays rotation of Glasnow, McClanahan, Eflin, Rasmussen and Springs might be the best in the AL. Keeping them healthy will be the key.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I mean cmon, we're basing stuff off one start? To be fair, it was raining. Also he walked four guys for the first time since 2019

He's 23 and in the minors he's 25-9 with a 2.49 ERA in 69 starts (Nice!) and 421 strikeouts in 296 innings.

Last season in half a season at Triple-A he went 6-1 in 14 starts with a 2.20 ERA and 97 strikeouts and 21 walks in 69.3 IP

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Chris Bassitt got lit up like a BP pitcher yesterday. The Jays haven't hit a homer this season and aside from the opener their offence hasn't done much. Manoah wasn't great on Thursday and Bassitt got killed yesterday

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

How’s Bassitt doing with the pitch clock? He had a very nice season with the Mets last year, but he was glacial on the mound.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, he sucked during Spring Training, too. I'm wondering if the shift ban is affecting both him and Manoah, too.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Phillies are off to a glorious start, just glorious. Probably could be expected offensively with Hoskins and Harper out but, christ, the pitching has been a tire fire.

maumann likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Yeah, as Deskgrunt noted, Bassitt was very good last year but seemed to have 10 PitchCom issues a game with his 100-pitch arsenal. Between the rule changes and moving to the power-happy AL East, he was a prime candidate for regression.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Improved yesterday, so the hitting went south. Just a terrible series. Yankee Stadium not a particularly good place for a pitching staff to get well, either.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

The good news is they did this last year and everything was fine! But also, Taijuan Walker's velocity was down this spring and he's going at the bandbox that is Yankee Stadium tonight and Aaron Judge has four homers in 11 at-bats against him so sweet merciful Christ.

Draft saved Draft deleted