1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I think the players might welcome the extra rest, given it’s been one of their complaints in recent years.

Functionally, a scheduled doubleheader under the new rules is no different from a previous Yankees-Red Sox Sunday Night game or playoff game.

Hermes likes this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Classic Canuckistani beer commercial featuring DeCarlo in his pre-Studs days:

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I still am when the average fan thinks the beat writer is supposed to root, root, root for the home team. I mean, how hasn't anyone explained it to them over the years?

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's actually normal, IMO. Fans get most of their information from 1) broadcasts and 2) beat writers.

The first group unabashedly roots, roots, roots for the home team. In the fan's mind, why wouldn't the second? Especially in an era that sees some beat writers employed by the clubs.

Combine that with the fact that most places publish commemorative sections after championships --- but not after losses --- and it can often feel like victories are being celebrated (and not just "reported"), which is kinda like rooting.

And finally, they're just stupid. ESPN kissed Tennessee's butt all football season, but that still didn't stop the "ESPN hates us" accusations whenever they (gasp!) dared to mention another team or player more worthy of the playoff or Heisman.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    Donny in his element likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I told the guy he didn't know what he was talking about. He didn't know about the the writers getting 8 a.m. phone calls, spending all day on the phone calling people to get information, showing up at the ballpark at 3 p.m. and working on their stories late into the night. Really, dinnertime is the only break in the day.

maumann and Batman like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Not as fast as the owners would slam it down.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The 1944 Philadelphia A's played 42 doubleheaders, including 11 in one 17-day span in September. The MLB record is 44, by the 1943 White Sox.

That's obviously too many. But maybe one DH per season against every other team in your league. We used to drive to Cleveland for one Sunday DH a year, made the 6-hour round-trip drive worthwhile.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

@BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo alert!

Machado wrung up because of a pitch-clock violation, then ejected! I believe he is now a trivia question answer.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They also played ZERO home games in September.

One thing to remember: Teams needed multiple days off because mostly they were traveling by train (there was an occasional flight here and there). Teams would end a series at home on, say, July 4, and then not begin their road series until July 7. The A's had 10(!) days off in June that year.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 4.17.42 PM.png

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I would absolutely go to a scheduled doubleheader, even though the Pirates would automatically be involved.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing World War II also played some part in that odd scheduling? The schedules were all jacked up in that period.
    They used a 3-4 format for the 1943 World Series because of travel restrictions.

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted