1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

MTG: "It’s disgusting… It was repulsive, it smells bad. I think it's a very terrible place."

Tuckums: "Enough about your hoo-ha. What about New York City?"

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I will say that Trump has done an excellent job in making people feel very personally invested in his troubles - which is why they are investing in his legal fees. I never felt like that with Clinton, or anyone - that their personal failings were an attack on me personally, or my way of life. But Trump has. And its pretty much been the secret of his political success. How the average person feels connected to Trump is beyond me. I don't think I've ever even seen him holding a gun or wearing camo.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I am not usually a big Michael Moore fan, but that is fantastic!...Like, a must-read, for everyone, actually.

And it's exactly what I've been thinking this week.

As Trump, his sons and Fox News have been whining for days now, yes, you're right. We are explicitly, politically, and in any other way, trying to go after Trump, you know, in order to stop more problems, violence and destruction from happening.

Neutral Corner and TigerVols like this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is what I don't get. How is he holding on to so much support? It's just mind-boggling. And scary.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Had a friend who was a facilitator for a domestic abuse group - the kind where guys have to attend to avoid steeper legal trouble - and his "control" of the base sounds similar to that. The base stays with him because he has convinced him there are no other options, that leaving will be worse. That yes maybe they are "deplorable" - but there is strength in numbers and Trump makes them feel good about being deplorable. I remember listening to Limbaugh - he'd never encourage his listeners to go check out what he's saying - reference other things that back up his argument in reputable sources. He'd say you don't need to listen to anyone else, or read anyone else. It's captive control. You demonize all sources that conflict with your argument - to back up your own opinion. Mainstream press, Fox News, NYT, Whomever.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. DanOregon

Kind of a side note - I've always been fascinated by the "right track/wrong track" polling question. Looking at the graph below - it seems the only time we come close to a less polarized country is around election time when people weigh in and their thoughts really matter. But you see huge disparities in the number in the interims - I'm guessing because that is the impression people get while watching the news - and the news is happy to comply because conflict creates interest, and interest leads to viewing. I could go on about the ambiguity of the RT/WT question, it isn't like you could ask two or three more questions to get a better sense of where things are really at.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/direction_of_country-902.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/weve-been-on-the-wrong-track-since-1972

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Nerds

garrow likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They’re not average people, Dan. I’d think you would have learned that by now. They’re fucking nutjob cultists.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't understand.

Some of these people would rail until they took their last breaths if they knew that their taxes and other such funds paid for brand-new stadiums and arenas for owners ... but those same people cannot wait to give money to a blowhard billionaire who never stops bragging about his opulent life.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

not a billionaire

Draft saved Draft deleted