1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Andrus is a classic Hall of Very Good player: Came up early and was able to put together a lot of counting stats (did you also know he's the active leader in both stolen bases and caught stealing?) while earning a great contract that made him a target of criticism over the back half of the deal. He'll also be a classic example of how 3,000 hits is the greatest separator between HOFers and non-HOFers. Andrus is still only 34 and can still be a plug-and-play one-year middle infield stopgap for a few years...but nowhere near long enough to collect another thousand hits.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Concepcion, Vizquel and even Jimmy Rollins have better cases than Andrus, imo.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Oh I'm not arguing he's a Hall of Famer. Not even close! But he's been (or maybe was) a very good player for a long time.

Hermes likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Really want him to be one of those guys who bounces from one team to the next for each of the next several years so I can tee up Mojo Nixon references.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know the home opener is a cash cow and all, but I do not like clubs postponing games a day ahead, then sitting through rainless days so they can open in the sun.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

7. tapintoamerica

Rainout insurance is quite the thing.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hall Of Fame prankster, though.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

At risk of being a Debbie Downer, I hate shit like this.

Climate change is serious business. Baseball, love it though I do, is not.

Wasting time on how climate change affects baseball detracts from meaningful climate change discourse on the serious shit.

I’m someone who believes climate change is the most serious challenge mankind faces, but even feeling that way, my reaction when I saw this was:

1. Eyeroll
    2. Who cares? (Do the math. If 500 HRs over a decade are spread around 28 teams, it’s 1.7 more HRs per team per season. A pittance in almost any era and that’s before you even get into the weeds of emphasis on launch angle over that period, etc.)

And most important …
    3. If I feel this way about this report as someone who is decidedly not a climate change denier, how are those who are deniers reacting?

This sounds counter-intuitive to how I feel, but I do think there’s such a thing as over-doing it on climate change. Tying climate change to everything under the sun has a boy who cried wolf effect.

It’s too serious a topic to waste it on this. It just muddies the water.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That horse left the barn when it was blamed for too dry/too wet/too much record hot/too much record cold/too many summer storms/too many winter storms. Basically anything except for San Diego weather.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    jr/shotglass and poindexter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted