1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That said, what weakened over the years was the magazine's editorial apparatus.

Resulting in the Erdely / UVA disaster.

Taibbi got away with a lot because there were fewer and less rigorous editorial checks in place during his tenure there.

Now, like Weiss and Greenwald and Shellenberger and others, he's twitter-filing and substacking with no editorial oversight or fact-checking of any kind.

That he got pantsed for it on live TV was inevitable.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind the editoralizing. It's what Rolling Stone was. I liked a lot of what the other writers you are mentioning did. They had a point of view, but they were straighforward about the fact that they did, and how they went about it.

I put Taibbi into a different category. I always really minded how fast and loose he would play with facts, and the specious leaps he'd make to connect things to fit whatever preestablished narrative he was beginning with. There was a flat-out dishonesty to some of the "reporting" he would do, and because he was adept enough to obfuscate the factual dishonesty while turning a phrase (he's really good with words), people who wanted to believe whatever he was selling would eat his nonsense up.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Twitter has now turned off the ability to post or RT Substack links. You know, the site where Taibbi posts.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Taibbi's piece linked above is whataboutism at its finest. Well-written too.

Azrael likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good to know what Malcolm Nance was tweeting in 2016.

Taibbi would be better off if he stopped tweeting entirely and devoted himself to building some sort of legitimate factcheck / editing apparatus for his own twitterfiles / substack.

As it is, his unimpeachable snowflake bullshit makes my job harder.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Scuttlebutt is that Substack is going to offer "short" posting capability soon, as a kind of exploration to take over some of Twitter's market space. Of course, banning Substack links means Twitter is giving them the Streisand effect bump, but hey!

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Journalism has lost a lot of people to PR work. Taibbi is just the latest.

PR for Musk seems like a terrible choice, and Taibbi did a really, really bad job of it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted