1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And a clear, unsettling indication of just what is wrong with this country.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That is not a defense. In fact, it sounds like we ought to be looking into the gift/travel habits of ALL the justices.

To say you did your best to follow whatever actual guidelines there are but then went to your colleagues to ask what you should really do doesn't say much for anybody involved.

All that does is tell me you knew you were doing something wrong but wanted someone to tell you what best you should do about it to make it go away. And apparently, Thomas was told to ignore it.

(I would also like to have seen a comment from one of the colleagues Thomas supposedly checked with. I'm betting they'd say they never told him any such thing). This is akin to two little kids pointing fingers/blame at each other.

4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

My dad and I had this very conversation this week. Just keep hammering away on abortion and guns. It's a gift, and it has proven to work. Don't be afraid to scare your voters into action.

2muchcoffeeman, qtlaw and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Far from a direct path from Ian Paisley to Donald Trump, but they do share some key qualities.

DUP MP says BBC House of Paisley documentary ‘totally biased’ and ‘gave impression Troubles all his fault’

In Northern Ireland, Paisley was telling poor prods that the Cafflicks were holding them down, when it was really the upper-class Orange Order and Royal Black Institution types. It was an easy-to-digest message that his followers ate up. Here, Trump’s others are the blacks and the Latins and the immigrants and the transes. That crowd is easily identifiable (like the rosary-clutching nanas were in Belfast). It’s us vs. them at its finest.

The reaction to the Paisley doc by his flock is exactly how the Trumpers will be in 20 years when we show these types of docs and people are like, “why was that generation so mad?”

Even Paisley made a misstep. He cut a deal with people he’d called the devil for decades so he could run Northern Ireland’s government. Within two years he’d been tossed aside as leader of his church, leader of his party and leader of government. His own vanity is what did him in. It unspooled fairly quickly.

2muchcoffeeman and I Should Coco like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed. But I don’t anticipate that happening.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

16 weeks, legal abortion, federal law. Would you take it? That’s two more weeks than France and Spain.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

LOL. They're going right back to the Tennessee House.

OscarMadison, garrow and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm a dude. That's a woman's choice, not mine. My default position is "It's none of anyone's goddamn business what women do when their bodies, so fuck off."

But to answer for me, no federal ban at all.

Smallpotatoes and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up — I’ll have to try and find that documentary.

wicked likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When was 16 weeks offered? That was basically what Roberts wanted and the five conservative judges said no.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted