1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Another fair point, but the more I think about it, the more I think the Rove/Bush/neocon years are kind of the neither Torah nor New Testament part of this sordid tale. As mentioned Atwater et al and Gingrich et al really started the concept of GOP-as-willingly-evil, and the MAGA crowd (who hate them) have taken it to its end, whether that's the destruction of the party, the country or both. Other than perhaps the role of Bush v. Gore in the GOP manipulating the judiciary to achieve the outcomes it could not in the other branches of government, what would you suggest is Rove et al's role in this. These guys seem now like the Elijah/Elisha/etc. of GOP evilness.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Chip, I believe in God but I don’t believe in organized religion
    I grew up Lutheran aka fallen Catholic
    We met in a church with Samsonite folding chairs and tile floors until we finally got a carpet and pews
    It was a bunch of people, my parents included, who thought going there for an hour on Sundays left you free to be who you were during the week
    That’s what these people are like

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

When was it offered in Congress when the Democrats had control of both houses of it?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I suspect a few would yes.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

With some limited exceptions, "control" of the Senate isn't worth a bucket of warm spit if you don't have enough votes to invoke cloture.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

"A few"? That's not a majority, is it?

And why should Democrats be expected to offer up an olive branch of 16 weeks? Would that legislation have prevented the 6-3 Trumpist klan in robes from tossing out Roe? No way, dude. They weren't nurtured by your Federalist Society for nothing. Their careers are based on the promise to eradicate abortion rights.
    Name me a single moment in history when a party in control of Congress said, "Let's make a preemptive move and pass something that will appease the opposition when the pendulum swings." It doesn't happen.
    The questions on specifics are still pending.
    What say you about exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother? About interstate travel? About guilt-tripping lectures to pregnant women?

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

All the exceptions, 16 weeks, none of the lectures.

I think that could be federal law, yes.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

They won’t stop until women have no choice and are completely subjugated, or the trumplicans are completely voted out of power.

Your premise is total nonsense.

10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Dick Nixon pulled a few dirty tricks, including sabotaging the Vietnam peace talks (not to mention the stuff that bounced him out of the White House). He also had that persecution complex that that's such a big part of today's GOP. Nixon's the one!

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The trumplicans cheated their way to a 6-3 Supreme Court and finally got Roe struck down in a nonsensical ruling.

It’s what they always wanted. And they aren’t fucking stopping.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Today we had a judge that outlawed a medication that would make abortion almost impossible across the whole country if upheld. But yeah, they would agree to 16 weeks or anything other than a full ban.

Draft saved Draft deleted