1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best headline ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

During the strike the longtime News wire editor got to write the headline he wanted to write his whole life when Cambodian despot Pol Pot died

Head Red said dead

My best was after the Bad Boys clinched their second straight title when Vinnie Johnson hit a buzzer beater to win Game 5

Vinnie, Vidi, Vici

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I lived this in my early editing days with Pete Peeters getting traded.

The one that ran was Caps grab Peeters.

After taking the obligatory abuse, I thought about it and figured I could hardly win.

Caps acquire Peeters?

Peeters to Caps?

Bruins' Peeters gone?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can’t win. Use the name and get accused of being offensive and juvenile. Use the player’s position and get blamed for being vague.

4. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

The writer ends two lines with prepositions. That wouldn't have flown in my old shop!

One memorable radio teaser was from WOKY-AM's David "Burnt Toast and Coffee Time" Haines in about 1972. A girl in Milwaukee was fatally shot by stray bullet, which Haines led with "Lead in the head and now she is dead." Public outcry ensued.

Just checking google and found Haines' obit. He went on to anchor morning newscasts in the DC area.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

in college, during one of Mark Prior's many injuries, I went with: Without Prior, Cubs staff still has Wood

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

This is a dumb story, but at the time in the early era of bringing our Podunk daily in NC to the interwebs, the paper's all-time most-clicked story had the headline, "Boy sick; turtle blamed."

Still proud of our ME for that one.

maumann likes this.
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The baseball page (remember those?) was always a good place for fun headlines, especially in the roundups.

When a Florida infielder had a four hit night, I busted out “Marlins beat Reds with Uggla stick”

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My best one in that vein was when R.J. Reynolds hit a single to drive in the winning run against Atlanta.

Reynolds' Rap Foils Braves

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Writing a one-column headline that you feel good about was never easy.

Many years ago there was a filly owned by Joe Pesci running at Gulfstream Park that he called a monster. This was a few months after Goodfellas was released. I came up with ...
    Pesci's
    monster:
    She's a
    Goodfilly

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I had one on a Randy Galloway column in which he said the Cowboys had set back football to the days of Pudge Heffelfinger (the first professional player in football history), much to their fans' dismay.

My headline: Cowboys Give Fans the Heffelfinger

Flip Wilson likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We had a high school softball player named Cocoa, who had a one-syllable last name. After she had a great game once, I used "Cuckoo for Cocoa (name)"

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The night Ian Happ got the win for the Phillies: "Happ-y days are here again for Phils."

College basketball roundup on the night Hasheem Thabeet had a big game for UConn: "Thabeet goes off." That got a couple of groans from prepress. But it ran.

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted