1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He was a very good player when healthy, but elite? Maybe the position was that weak in 2019.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Angels first baseman Jared Walsh started the season on the IL because of headaches and sleep disorder. He is not even with the team. He's at home in Utah.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This was a weird play in the Padres-Braves game last night, with a lot going on. Not sure I've ever seen this one before.
    The Padres Rougned Odor is on third and Trent Grisham hits a grounder to first. The Braves throw home to cut down the run. There is a big collision at the plate and the ball gets past catcher Travis d'Arnaud. However, Odor never touched home plate. He goes back to touch it, but not before a second runner crosses home. Braves appeal, Odor is out and a run is taken off the board since the second guy passed him on the basepaths.
    Oh, and in the aftermath it looks like d'Arnaud is going on the IL with a concussion.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

One correction (and Batman I think you got your info from the announcers on that clip) is that Kim was actually the one called out (or should have been), because he was the one who did the passing. Odor's run counted because he went back to touch the plate, and the lead runner in these situations can still advance at his own risk.

This link has a good explanation of the rule:
    https://baseballrulesacademy.com/lesson/passing-another-runner/

EDIT: OK, I'm going to stand corrected on this after further research. The typical passing-the-runner rule didn't apply here because Odor originally got credit for the run, but then the Braves appealed to home plate and Odor was the one ruled out because he was the one who missed the plate. His returning to touch home plate was nullified because Kim, a trailing runner, had already touched the plate. So Kim's run counted and Odor's didn't.
    This will be a fun one for umpire school.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Batman likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good job by the trainer to go into human shield mode when tempers started to flare.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In the second game of the doubleheader they got one hit and lost 3-0. So they got one hit and split a DH.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

These in-game interviews have got to stop.

jr/shotglass and HanSenSE like this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I am not a big follower of baseball, but I try to keep up with it at least a little bit each season, particularly with regard to teams in my area.

I am, however, a big reader, and am putting a list of articles for baseball fans to look up and experience (if you haven't already), as suggested by Devin Gordon for Pocket, where I actually find a lot of good reads.

Ten Classic Baseball Reads for Opening Day

I thought about putting this on the Books thread, but these aren't actually books, and I figured real baseball fans might find/see this more easily here.

UNCGrad and TigerVols like this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Phils rake Sandy Alcantara for nine earned runs, 10 hits in four innings.

Did not see that coming.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There is nothing to be gained by these interviews that outweighs the intrusion on the game.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Unbelievable. He may not give up a combined nine runs in his next five starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted