1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do you guys remember the bet in last year's NBA playoffs? If the dog covered, it won outright, I am thinking like 90% of the time?

Anyone else remember that?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dog winning outright 1-0

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just took a comically bad beat. Bundesliga: Dortmund-Stuttgart. I had Dortmund ML and over 2.5 goals. Dortmund is up 2-0, Stuttgart scores in the 78th. OK, the over hits. Just hang on. Stuttgart again in the 84th. Gio Reyna gives Dortmund the lead three minutes into stoppage time. Stuttgart scores at the absolute death to equalize. Oof.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Bundesliga… where all hell breaks loose late.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, we made up for it by putting a $10 free bet on Jalen Brunson first basket last night at +550. Easiest $55 I'll ever make. :)

exmediahack likes this.
  6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The crack cocaine of NBA betting.

That being said, I hit a couple of Mikal Bridges first basket bets last year.

FanDuel used to have the Friday night TNT game promo.

$25 on the first basket scorer in the late TNT Friday game. If it lost, you’d get money back based on their point total. If they scored 16, you’d get $16 of the 25 back.

I’d ask the newsroom “who we want” and, if it hit, I’d take everyone out (7 of us in the newsroom after 10 pm) for two drinks after the news. Very Ron Burgundy.

Bridges hit twice — good for $212.50 one time and $250 another time. Booker was always +500 or so — I liked Bridges for the longer odds and he often got open looks from 15 feet.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had never hit a first-basket bet before last night, so it was a nice little payout that keeps my account humming for my stupid weekend bets at the bar. I won't make a habit of it, but you're right, it's total crack. There is some science in knowing who has the better odds of winning the tip at least. Some of the degenerates I know not only do a bunch of first-basket bets, but method of first basket. Ayton to score on a dunk. Or Booker to hit a 3. That's too much for me.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I love playing the first basket two-man parlay or a three-man round robin for $10. Hit a parlay recently for a few hundred and two legs of a RR for $900. Haven't given it all back yet, but trying ...

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I really want to go against DK specials for a while and see if I'd end up ahead. A couple nights ago they had odds boosts on a Harden double-double and Steph/Klay combining for 9+ threes. Neither hit.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Benfica scoring a garbage time tying goal in the 95th minute ruined a +636 Inter and Man City/Bayern tie parlay. Ugh.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just hit 2/3 on a first basket round robin -- LeBron and Jamal Murray came through. My third leg was Brook Lopez to hit a 3 for first basket. +750 for LeBron was too good to pass up. Combine that with Murray's +900 and it's a nice hit. Might have to try again tomorrow!

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They boosted LeBron to score 25+ from -165 to +100 last night. Didn't take it, but James scored 28 so it hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted