1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The responses to my post are a reminder about why I take every dollar I earn and can save. .. and trade it for something -- anything -- tangible OTHER than a dollar.

We are at the point where debt monetization (which has destroyed the dollar and created a huge amount of debt that will never be paid back, and is now a game of debt being being inflated away because that is a less direct tax, even though it disproportionately kills the poorest people) and populist "policies" that have leveraged all of the diluted dollars (M2 money supply is the sister graph to that national debt graph) we have created -- for example, by creating a student loan crisis -- aren't going to be possible much longer unless we go the way of the Weimar Republic to keep trying to live that fantasy. ... which I am afraid is actually going to happen when I see what some people post on here.

Wages haven't kept up with prices, homes have become so unaffordable, and millions of people who never would have qualified for student loans if they hadn't been guaranteed by our government for populist "policy" reasons, instead ran up tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt, to get degrees that by virtue of that policy have become more and more worthless in practical terms. It's mind-boggling to me that someone pointing out those realities to me wouldn't consider WHAT CAUSED those things. ... and like the arsonist who rides in on the fire truck to put out the fire, instead proposes that we keep doing more of the same. ... even says that "it's a win for the economy."

Oy.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If you mount a national service requirement, you need to pay people. And house them and feed them and train them.

And you need to extend some sort of multi-year, multi-facet benefit package like the GI Bill - in order to put education and homeownership back within reach of the middle class.

We have the money to do all these things.

We just have to choose to do them.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I guess China, stuck with all that worthless U.S. debt, got no choice but to sell our shit on the sidewalk.

They can have my Tupperware.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I thought Jordan's little gambit was pretty clever. Mendacious, but clever.

He's not dumb. I'm not sure why people suggest he is. Cawthorn was dumb.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The majority really doesn't have any interest in swelling the military ranks.

And as I'm sure you've guessed, I don't mind that.

Azrael likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I love the idea but I know the nature of this nation's execution of such an idea. Rich kids would get an out. So would teen actors and sons of politicians and college athletes. And so on and so on.

Azrael likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not all national service has to be military.

They can certainly opt in to the military if they choose, but I'm thinking of a program like the Civilian Conservation Corps. Or the WPA federal arts projects. Or the Peace Corps or Teach for America.

Two years of national service, but it needn't be defense.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Using Congress to try to obstruct justice is "clever"?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's always a hoot to hear some asshole like John Thune talk about how hard he had to work in the summer to pay for college, and that he didn't get any relief from his loans, when SDSU or USD probably cost less than $300 a term.

Bootstraps.

I have no idea if Thune even went to school in his home state. But clearly college was much more affordable 40 or 30 years ago than it is today. It's absolute BS to hear all those people who went to college when it cost less than $2,000 a year, in an era when higher education was funded properly, bitch about student loan relief.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It was ever thus.

The rich kids will rich kid their way out of it as they always have. Same for the children of the famous and the powerful.

But think of what it could do for the ordinary kids - the blue collar kids and the poor kids, the immigrant kids, the lost kids, the foster kids.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Alme-

His gambit was as dumb as the kid who eats one of the pieces to the boardgame thinking no one will notice. They have no jurisdiction.

Why was it ok for John Edwards to go to jail and it's not ok for this cretin even to be prosecuted?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. We have endless money. Money is no object.

[​IMG]

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted