1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd go with 'embittered' rather than 'fatigued.'

The flipside to the Reaganite vision of everything for everybody in the shining city on a hill is what happens when you can't/don't get it.

As you and I have said here many times, the expectation and the default setting now for the American consumer at every level of society is luxury. There's really nothing left of the Depression mentality of simplicity or subsistence or enough.

And rather than curb this insatiable appetite in folks, we encourage it. Because capitalism needs growth, there's no such thing as enough. There's only more.

10th Commandment was pretty good on this, as was Buddha.

Suffering is wanting.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    OscarMadison, wicked and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why is that?

I mean, "we" don't build homes. Home builders build homes

You are saying there is demand out there. ... at least where people "want" to live. Do you think that people who could be profiting from building homes have inexplicably decided they don't want to profit by meeting a lot of untapped demand?

The reason home prices have gotten so expensive has nothing to do with that. ... You are seeing the insidiousness of monetary inflation in action. The Federal Reserve owns close to $3 trillion in mortgage-backed securities. ... it has created trillions of dollars out of thin air since the financial crisis in 2008 and it used that massive amount of new money to buy up mortgage debt; hijacking that market -- in order to drive mortgage interest rates down (which spurs more demand). That has relentlessly driven up the price of homes all over again.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance...gage-experiment-fueled-todays-housing-crisis/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Get this. An "anti-woke" board game company is putting out a new version of Clue. It won't have a library amongst the rooms and it will be replaced by a Nazi memorabilia gallery."

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would be one way to motivate young people to vote, but probably not in a way that the people proposing such a measure would like.

wicked, jr/shotglass and Azrael like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe.

But if you include a debt-free college education - and a path to home ownership - it might motivate young people to vote for it in droves.

Depends on how we frame it, I think, and how we fund it.

7. outofplace

That would make more sense, but it would have to be a debt-free college education for everyone who participates, not something capped by family income, and that gets expensive.

Azrael likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tell me, is there anything so sure?
    Rapacity, tenacity, capacity for more
    Like a dog that feeds until he suffers
    The infirmity of man is brought on by his selfish cure

Azrael likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We have the money to do these things, we just don't have the will.

There's no reason any kid in America shouldn't be able to attend their state's land grant university for free. Right now.

Instead, we build more prisons.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. outofplace

I agree. I just don't see it happening.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted