1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How can someone be “indicted for no crime”? By definition if someone is indicted they are alleged to have committed a crime.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The only way to frame it is to NOT mandate it. Very few Americans are going to accept being told they HAVE to give two years of their life to something that isn't their own idea.

Azrael likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had the same concern, but the only way it would work is if everyone is required to do it. What is the other option? You could provide debt-free college education for those who volunteer, but that is the equivalent of allowing people to buy their way out of service. It can certainly be argued that people who grew up wealthy are the ones who need the experience the most.

Azrael likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I believe the Manhattan DA gets $5K in federal funds though I may have misheard that number.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I saw that this morning. Pretty accurate description of state-level politics, although there has always been a seedier side on the local level. Buford Pusser may have gotten the movie deal, but there were dozens more counties were things were just as rigged.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

By attend, you mean online classes? They’re not gonna let the kids stay in the suite style dorms at Penn State for free. There’s a lot of perfectly smart kids that don’t even get to go to Penn State right away. They got to go to some other school for two years.

wicked and Azrael like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it has to be mandatory to work.

There can be lots of different ways to serve within the two-year mandatory national service model, but it has to be mandatory.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think you can vary the model to accommodate on-campus and virtual students; one-year, two-year, four-year and graduate students; full-time and part-time students. As well as at the state school level and the city college level and the community college level.

A lot of these students will be commuters.

But we can certainly conceive work-study programs that would allow free-tuition students to pay their room and board by working their way through school.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think free two-year community college is a starting point. Many CCs/JCs offer vocational programs, too, so we wouldn't be forcing libruhl education on everyone.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

CT already offers free community college for HS grads, or those with a GED. Again, it’s about priorities.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Yes, we’re totally building enough housing.

Among the worst offenders are San Francisco and New York.

A healthy ratio based on the historical average is 1 permit for every 2 new jobs; however, many major metropolitan areas far exceed this ratio. In the San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward Metropolitan area, 1 new single-family unit permit is issued for every 28 new jobs, and in the New York-Newark-Jersey City Metropolitan area, 1 permit is issued for every 34 jobs.

https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/mje/2022/12/30/the-economics-of-the-housing-shortage/

The housing shortage is the root of all of America's problems

https://www.multifamily.loans/apart...10-metros-with-the-largest-housing-shortages/

Draft saved Draft deleted