1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Where's Ivanka?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"The new version's name? Haven't A Clue."

tea and ease and garrow like this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

This morning I saw a powerfully built man with guns on his mesh cap and he was crying about what's being done to this president.

'2024', he said between sniffs.

And he even called me sir.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

surprised the left, etc.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"We're" not building enough housing? Who is included in "we"? How does that work? We all get together and decide what the optimal number of homes is, and then chip in and build them?

There is no magical "right" amount of housing. All of those links start from the propostion that housing has gotten expensive, therefore there is a shortage (i.e. -- if only "we" found a scheme to increase the supply of housing. ... one of them goes on about housing vouchers. ... -- it would bring prices down). The world doesn't work that way, and to the extent we now treat it that way, we actually keep creating our own problems, by trying to design things the people with the magical solutions don't even understand.

You didn't answer my question about why housing has become unaffordable.

If there is a way to build homes and profit from it (which would increase supply), there is all the incentive in the world to do it, no? You'd have home builders building homes hand over fist.

The reason that hasn't happened is that a much more powerful force has distorted the housing market. ... a monetary authority that has destroyed the debt markets, intervenining directly in the mortgage-backed security market (so directly in the housing market) by buying up trillions of dollars of mortgages with money it created out of thin air (overpaying for those mortgages by definition, because they were buyers at any price. ... a whole other problem and discussion that we all have to pay for). That keeps mortgage rates artificially low, and it has juiced demand for homes. That is what has sent housing prices relentlessly higher. Their manipulation of the debt markets overwhelms market supply and demand. ... by sending demand artificially higher on the back of mispriced debt markets.

How that played out over time is why housing became so unaffordable and people now have settled into a "shortage" narrative. The demand for housing is elastic. Given the distortion they created, we actually don't really have a housing shortage. ... We have JUST the amount of housing you'd expect in the environment we have now created (by trying to design things rather than letting price discovery send signals to the market).

Prices went up due to all of the artificial demand they have unleashed. ... and at the increasingly inflated prices, millions of people are priced out of buying a home. ... which crossed a threshhold that has given home builders much less incentive to build new homes (which they won't be able to sell, because the people left without homes can't afford them -- i.e. the unaffordability that translates to "shortage" to some people).

It's not the simplistic, "We" are not building enough homes. That doesn't say much of anything. People need to consider WHAT has created a U.S. where homes are unaffordable for so many people. It's the reason and the answer to how to unfuck up the housing market.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I considered including a name in the original post, but didn't want to include too many jokes. I was considering "Coup" or "Q."

TigerVols likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Covid made that worse in lower income households. I have so many eighth graders who are below grade level in reading and a shocking amount below 4th grade.

My district bears responsibility because our reading intervention might as well be nonexistent in lower grades.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Hold on, you’re not on the housing board the rest of us are? You’re supposed to get appointed when you get your drivers license.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought maybe the supply chain shortages from the start of the pandemic might be the Big Bang event that helped us recapture some of that and appreciate how miraculous having goods and services instantly on demand for the right price truly was. That did not hold up at all.

FileNotFound and Azrael like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

From CPP: Jim Jordan's silly "weaponization" subcommittee has become the worst televised debacle since Evel Knievel underclubbed himself at the Snake River Canyon.

2muchcoffeeman, dixiehack and garrow like this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Because people in power didn’t want it to happen. They were too worried about getting re-elected and then fomenting insurrections.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Are there hundreds and hundreds of acres of vacant real estate in Manhattan and San Francisco where these houses should be built that aren't showing up on my Google maps?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted