1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Probably from all those years of covering up sex crimes.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks to Nancy Grace, my grandmother was convinced every car that drove by a school was a predator looking to kidnap a kid. Didn’t matter what the data showed.

2muchcoffeeman, HanSenSE and Azrael like this.
  3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

4. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Some of that, I suspect, is a product of the psychology that made him a great wrestler. Wrestlers who are that good are always doing conditioning, working out, or wrestling because they can't fathom someone catching up to them.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think of NYC as a dangerous place. ... not by a long shot. Even in a shitty neighborhood, I am way more comfortable (during the day at least) than I am in shitty neighborhoods in lots of other places. I have to spend a lot of time in Philadelphia and I won't venture out of center city.

Quality of life in NYC has undoubedtly been slipping, though, and along with it some people have definitely become more aggressive and threatening in the last few years in what should be innocuous places and times of the day. I don't think anyone who lives in NY would argue that. ... anyone who rides the subway has dealt with it.

I always attribute that to economic conditions (which the city and state's politicians have exascerbated), not to the typical "law and order" nonsense.

All of that said? NYC still feels way more safe than it did, for example, in the 1980s. It's like two different cities. It even feels way more safe than it did in the 1990s, when things started to get better. ... and still even safer than it was in the 2000s, when I already would pretty much go anywhere in the city (even a place like East New York in Brooklyn, although I didn't often come up with reasons to go there), and not have any fear for my safety.

I Should Coco, Deskgrunt50 and Azrael like this.
  6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Murder isn’t the only crime.

Azrael likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“Hey, man, you’re looking good these days.”

“Thanks, I’ve lost 50 pounds. I’m not where I want to be. I have another 50 to go, but I’m making progress.”

<Alma kicks in the door>

Alma: Quit playing language arts with the numbers and being sanguine about how you’re still a fat ass!!!

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agree.

I think the tipping point for our quality-of-life stuff here was the pandemic.

That said, the local press continues to overstate / exaggerate things like subway violence. Fear sells papers.

NYPD Announces Citywide Crime Statistics for February 2023

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True.

But it sure is a leading indicator of a city's violence profile, and how and why an out-of-town honk with an agenda like Kellyanne Conway gets traction with her "feelings" about "safety."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

As much as I tire of the “whatabout Chicago?!!?!” shtick in politics these days, there was something like a 40-percent spike in non-murder violent crime there during the past few years.

And, I grew up in a city with an even higher crime rate than that. The only reason I rarely felt unsafe in Philadelphia is because I knew where to go and where not to. That’s what an out-of-towner just looking to own some libs doesn’t understand.

But that doesn’t mean it’s overall a safe place to live. Or that the “data” tell the whole story. Or that crime cordoned off into one part of the city is a legit mitigation strategy.

Azrael likes this.
  12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Was once in a really crappy part of Philadelphia with two sacks full of Christmas presents. Never felt unsafe. It was like Lecter carrying Starling past the carnivorous boars.

Draft saved Draft deleted