1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it is about the corruption of EZ, but you are right. It really is difficult to find anyone to care about at this point.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Lucky Hank is stupidly heavy handled.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s like something out of 1991. I think you’re right, but right now I kinda need a stupid, broad comedy to turn my brain off to, so I’m enjoying it. It seems like Odenkirk just wanted something light after playing such a dark character. I expect it to be cancelled, but I’m enjoying it for what it is.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Dave is such self absorbed shit.

5. outofplace

Now we know, and the answer does make sense. They way they explain it works pretty well, too. Now the question is how the hell they wrap this up in one episode.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah during the reveal I was all ready for your answer to come up but then the real one came and I thought it was probably a better answer

7. outofplace

I agree. This works better, especially given the focus on TNG.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dave’s not here, man.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've thought a lot about the Great Link throughout this season, but more in surprise that the Changelings were (still) the big villains. It had never been shown or conclusively followed up, but I always thought Odo's return to the Great Link in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine series finale was intended to lead to a help/healing, and, well, change, for his species.

Indeed, something along those lines does actually happen with the Borg, in the books, at least, but maybe that's a timing thing and hasn't occurred yet. I read those books long ago, and I don't recall the timeline exactly. Or else, I guess, because the stuff on Paramount+ right now is the result of most of that Star Trek history/canon having been discarded/blown up, it just may not matter or factor in at all.

I do find, with Jack Crusher playing such a key role in this season of Star Trek: Picard, and with the rest of the TNG crew being reunited, that it's strange that there has been no appearance by Wesley, the other Crusher son, who, given his own extraordinary abilities, might actually have been a factor in some way in the events that have played out so far. I guess the mention of him by his/Jack's mother, Dr. Beverly Crusher, in the most recent episode was a nod to that, but it seems like a story line that could've/should've been broached/expanded out.

And yeah, it seems like this season needs at least two or three more episodes for it to end up being really satisfying.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think they explained the Link thing by noting this was a radical element from the war.

As for Wesley, he made a cameo last season and I think this season would be a cheat to bring him in. I don’t think that’s the traveler’s mission to directly get involved like that and it would be too easy.

I haven’t read the books to have an opinion on whether they’re following “canon.” I think they are staying true to the shows and movies except going grittier and darker.

12. outofplace

They seem to have thrown out the books entirely. For example, in the books, Picard and Beverly Crusher got married while he was still captain of the Enterprise. They had a son named Renee, after his nephew who was killed. Ro Laren managed to resurrect her Starfleet career much earlier, becoming head of security, then commanding officer of Deep Space Nine. (Yeah, that seems a bit less realistic than her arc in Picard.) Those are just a few examples that don't fit at all with the current timeline.

They also followed up on Odo and the Changelings in the novels, but again, that doesn't seem to be part of this storyline.

Draft saved Draft deleted