1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, he's technically right but if you're really going to worry about that they should enforce an ironclad limit of one beer per customer per game

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I posted here a couple of days ago. Then I apologized and went to my room without dessert.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Rays set MLB record .. For consecutive games closing off the upper deck during record win streak. Lol

maumann likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Your contributions here go disturbingly unrewarded.

JC likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not if they get under your skin, they don't.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Does disgusting me count as getting under my skin? I guess you win then.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you’re actually worried about fans drinvg home safely, you’d cut off beer sales earlier.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s not just you.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The A's have given up 24 more runs (101) than the second worst team, just two weeks into the season. You wonder if the team's baseball people were advised to not drive too hard a bargain when giving up their best players the last couple of years. They are horrible. Terrible pitching.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on, this. When I worked in junior hockey I recall one season we got off to a hot start and we heard the same thing but my boss, who was the coach and GM, said, "We don't make the schedule. We play who they tell us to play when they tell us to play them."

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

One of the most ridiculous arguments in sports is denigrating a team because "you didn't play anybody." There's no such thing as style points. If you win every game, it's physically impossible to do any better.

That's the stuff of bad talk radio. "They don't play nobody, Pawwwwl!"

The San Francisco Giants weren't the "best team" in any of their three recent World Series championships, but those flags are going to fly forever. The 1980 USA hockey team gets beat by the Russians 99 out of 100 times, except on that particular day.

Al Davis was right. "Just win, baby."

If you win six consecutive games in the NCAA Tournament (not including the play-in), no matter the seeding, you're the champion. You don't get an asterisk because the top seeds got upset somewhere along the way and you didn't have to beat Kentucky, Duke or Kansas. Same with the 1972 Dolphins. They beat everybody they played. It's not their fault that happened to be a bad AFC East, an emotionally drained Steelers team and the Redskins in the Super Bowl. Undefeated is undefeated.

Michigan's out of conference schedule was particularly unimpressive last season but the Wolverines were still unbeaten until they lost to TCU. I didn't happen to think the Big Ten was that great in 2022, but I take nothing away from their 13-0 start.

Tampa Bay caught the worst three teams in the majors to open the year, but they crushed them. They're a very impressive team, with great pitching and solid hitting. Will that translate into a strong rest of the season? That's why they play the games. You don't win a World Series 13 games into the season, but 13-0 is way better than 0-13.

The 1982 Braves and 1987 Brewers both went 13-0. The Braves made the playoffs. The Brewers did not. My biggest concern with the 1984 Tigers was finishing the season the way they started. You hate to have such a magical start to the season end without the payoff, and thankfully they swept the Royals and beat the Padres in 5.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is one of baseball's cruelties that although a fast start is no guarantee of success (still good to have, mind you), a correspondingly bad one invariably spells doom.

maumann and micropolitan guy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted