1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Gen Z pop voting for the first time in '24 don't even know what a stalking horse is.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

More argument that we need age-range limits for all political positions. They could be different, depending on the positions, maybe, but we need them.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not like the Dems have a huge majority in the Senate. Feinstein has had a distinguished career, I don't know why those close to her won't let her know she's not doing herself, or the party or values she supposedly represents any favors by hanging on. But I also think the tune being sung by the Dems would be much different if the Calif. governor who would appoint her successor was a Republican.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Never understood why there are term limits for the executive branch only and not for the other two branches. Maybe it's because the executive branch is the only one that doesn't make law or interpret it, but that's just a guess.

Supreme Court justices should definitely have fixed terms. It's absurd that the constitution of the court is contingent upon the fate of certain justices dying during certain presidents terms. Absolutely fucking absurd.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

FDR going against the unwritten rule going back to Washington of only serving two terms.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

Right, and then they passed a Constitutional amendment prohibiting more than two terms. I guess it's not a surprise that Congress didn't take that opportunity to impose term limits on themselves, too.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That and was it a problem back then that senators and congressmen were staying in place for 20-30 years?

8. CD Boogie

No, certainly not to the extent it is now. Thanks, Newt Gingrich, ya shitstain carnival barker. BTW, reading a book by the New Yorker writer George Packer called "The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America," written in 2013. Won the National Book Award. Focuses on a smattering of people, both famous and not. One of the humps brought to the stage is none other than Newt Gingrich, who Packer reasonably accuses of being the chief poisoner of contemporary politics. I kinda forgot how he was finally put out to pasture by the mainstream GOP. Anyway, really good book, bought it Sunday and almost done with it.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

10. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

When I tell people my age (45) that I've covered horse racing, I usually get a look that silently asks, "Are you a degenerate gambler?" or "Horse racing is still a thing?"

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. And it starts at the lowest levels -- amazing how people who have political or family connections in, say, a small city or state representative district end up running in primary elections without many candidates, or ones where the incumbent decides at the last minute not to run.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10-year terms for SCOTUS judges would be perfect - though I think the lifetime appointments were intended by the framers to keep the law from whipsawing back and forth and move at a more glacial pace this way and that. But someone forgot to tell the "originalists."

Draft saved Draft deleted