1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Guess we should rename this the “Running in America thread.”

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd have left the word "racism" in. ... although I understand the dynamic that has turned it into a no-win word. ... some people who have expanded it to try to turn things that aren't racist (or at least aren't necessarily acts of racism) into acts of racism. ... and others pushing for nothing to be called racist, even things that are by definition racist (discrimination and hatred BASED ON race).

But there is nothing in America today that comes anywhere near the shitting on of her grandparent's civil rights that happened.

I completely understand them wanting to publish the story for kids, and take out her editorial about how racist America is today. She conflatied things that are nowhere near the same thing as the detaining of people because of their race and putting them in camps that occurred. Presumably her story about her grandparents is a factual account. Those are the kinds of books Scholastic does for kids. They don't do hamhanded indoctrination. She's free not to want that -- it's her book -- but I can totally see it from their perspective.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That might be worth a “I suppose” from one of our esteemed members.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Just saw this documentary on PBS about the challenges Black women who are pregnant face. Even middle and upper class women face worse health outcomes than white women.

https://www.pbs.org/show/birthing-justice/

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's all in the hands of the Texas pardons and paroles committee now. If this evidence is all verified, the next time Perry will experience air conditioning will be at his funeral.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted