1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of our local high school baseball teams won a game 13-3 tonight. The teams combined to put two balls in play.
    Team A, an inner-city school with a bunch of young players who haven't really played before, got a leadoff single in the first inning and three walks. It scored its runs on a bunch of wild pitches.
    Team B, our locals, played their JV squad even though it was a varsity district game. They drew 10 walks, had six HBPs, and one player grounded out in the second inning. All of their runs came on the walks, HBPs, and wild pitches/passed balls. All three outs they made in the first inning came on players trying to score on wild pitches who were tagged out at the plate. Most of those didn't bother to slide, which was pissing the coach off to no end. They called the game via the mercy rule in the second inning, instead of waiting until the fifth. So they won 13-3 while being no-hit.

I shot pictures for the first inning of this monstrosity and then bailed to go shoot a second game in town. That one inning took almost an hour to play and about three years off my life.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The same local team from my previous post had another oddity the other day. They are in a district with four terrible teams from an inner-city school district that, God bless 'em, just don't play baseball very well. Our school is similar, but has a decent coach currently and is at least competent.
    Last week, there was a rainout. The local coach rescheduled it for Tuesday, not realizing he had already scheduled a doubleheader with another district team for that day. The coach said screw it, and played all three games in one day, back-to-back-to-back. The three games lasted a total of five innings (one went three innings, the other two games the teams quit after one) and the combined score was 50-0.

I covered the middle game that finished 20-0. Locals played their JV and scored all the runs in the bottom of the first. The losing pitcher threw 98 pitches in the first inning.
    The losing team also hit into a 1-4-8-4-3 double play. Batter hit a nubber that went about halfway to the mound, and everybody thought it was foul but the ump (probably wanting to get this over with) called it fair. After about 10 seconds of the ball sitting on the ground, the pitcher finally picked it up and threw to second. The ball got away into center field. After another 10 seconds, the centerfielder picked it up and threw to second, and then they threw it to first for the second out.
    The entire sequence took about a minute to play out. The whole time, the runner was standing on first base and the batter in the batter's box.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Do the old records differentiate between fastpitch and slowpitch? I used to love covering slowpitch because a 7-inning game could be over in 45 minutes.

Batman likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Our oddball locals are at it again.
    Another district game tonight, against the only other team that is anywhere near competitive in that league. Locals were winning 8-3 heading into the top of the sixth inning, and then won 28-3. They scored 20 runs in the top of the sixth — on six hits, eight walks and eight hit batters — for their second 20-run inning of the week.
    By my count, the locals have 44 HBPs in nine district games.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sounds like that Mets-A's game in Oakland last night.
    Seriously, they didn't call it when the run rule kicked in? Or they wanted the other team to have its ups?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The locals were the visitors this time. They didn't reach run-rule territory until they were well into that 20-run inning (it was only 8-3 entering the sixth), so the other team had to bat one last time.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I posted about it here years and years ago: in the late 80s I covered a Class D district tournament softball game that ended up 38-37 with a total of more than 80 walks, with the winning team making up an 8-run deficit with 12 walks in a row (sandwiched around two called strikeouts) in the seventh inning. The last couple of innings both pitchers were flat footed slow pitching and still walking everybody.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Poly snapped Wilson's 49-year run as Moore League swim champs.

maumann likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, I bet there were several stretches in which 25 pitches were thrown without anybody swinging a bat

Draft saved Draft deleted