1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I love Hurts, but this is too much for him. He’s not a generational talent.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to be. He was next.

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo and JC like this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Exactly. And he will be passed soon enough.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The other option is you let a guy who took you to the Super Bowl and almost won it and was the MVP walk, pending what happens this year....you have to pay that guy.

By this time next year he'll have the seventh-highest QB contract

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And on some level, OK, you paid him and, if nothing else, you know Hurts will put the work in and be a good teammate. So you reduce your bandwidth of worry on that guy and focus even more on making sure the pieces around him stay talented and well-developed.

One thing, say, the Bears haven’t been able to avoid is having the damn conversation every three years about position. Building up the guy’s ego. Finding parts that fit Mitch or Justin or whoever. The perpetual assessing, etc. The Dolphins too. And Washington

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You could conceivably move the Browns to Columbus and not lose any fans, but no way Cincinnati allows that to happen. (I think the teams should play a game at Ohio Stadium every year to spice up that rivalry a bit.)

I’d think the Cavs make the most sense moving to Columbus to build the brand as the state’s NBA team (and perhaps gain some fans in Northern Kentucky). I would assune the Guardians would flee to a bigger market like Nashville eventually with population declines the way they’re going.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Columbus has almost three times the population of Cleveland.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Heard the "rumor" about Caserio being on the outs in Houston. Has anyone ever uncovered exactly what the hell went on with the Texans? I totally get Jr. McNair wanting to force out all of the people who dismissed him when his dad owned the team, so he brought in Easterby as his "prayer partner, exterminator" and cleared out the elder McNair loyalists in the business and front offices, even alienated Watt enough to get him to request a trade - but they bring in Caserio because he had the football credentials that Easterby didn't and they hire Cully and Smith for a year each - then Easterby gets tossed aside in the middle of last season. And suddenly, with the hire of Ryans seem interested in not being a joke. And now Caserio might get pushed out for someone Ryans is familar with?
    Did someone in the family tell Jr. they were going to take the keys away if he didn't start acting like an owner who wants to win instead of someone who toyed with the idea of hiring another prayer partner in Josh McCown as HC? It's weird what's been going on there.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The article was talking about a temporary home during stadium renovations, like the Bears decamping to Champaign for a year.

Also, very few NBA teams have meaningful fan bases beyond their immediate home metro area.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I know. More of a diving off point for a musing. In the long run, Cleveland cannot keep three pro sports franchises. By 2040, one will be gone. If Columbus keeps growing the way it is, it will be in the market for another pro team. Taking the Cavs or Guardians would be a seamless transition for one of those franchises and probably keep the Cleveland base intact.

The Dolans are reviled by many, but a lot of other ownership groups would’ve already been shopping that franchise to Nashville or Portland given the attendance.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Akron-Canton close that gap, but the trends are not in that market’s favor.

If Columbus becomes an Intel chip hub, Columbus is only going to grow faster.

Draft saved Draft deleted