1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I had read some analysis that there was a non-zero chance that a certain reading of the actual malice standard could be so high as to be impossible to prove.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as taking the Alex Jones route.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

So Dominion is is supposed to risk almost a billion dollars for political reasons and Fox is supposed to fall on a sword of righteousness and not try to save itself with bankruptcy if need be?

Great analysis this morning, folks.

X-Hack, maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alex Jones declared bankruptcy following a jury verdict. This is a settlement. Fox has agreed to pay this money in a binding legal document. Declare bankruptcy after that and a number of things would happen, all bad for Fox. Its lawyers would face serious sanctions. Its stock price would crumble, since bankruptcy would indicate it has far fewer assets than its market cap shows. Worst of all, the trial, avoiding which is the reason Fox settled, would promptly resume.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

They will remove the News part, if anything. That has been the legal fig leaf all along.

9. Michael_ Gee

I wonder about the 12 good and true citizens of the state where I was born and raised who were on the Fox-Dominion jury feel today? Are they delighted that the settlement gives them back several months of their lives? Or are they disappointed they missed being part of the highest profile trial in the land with front row seats for lots of juicy testimony?

Azrael likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Imagine having tickets for the hottest show on Broadway on opening night.

And not being able to use them.

About like that, I'd guess.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

I have to imagine self-selection in the jury selection phase left a pool of those relatively eager to serve. Those who wanted out could've just blurted out some political opinions either vigorous anti- or pro-Fox. After all, I have used the words "newspaper columnist" and "former newspaper columnist" to avoid serving more than once. Those were magic words as lawyers rushed to have me thrown out.

Draft saved Draft deleted