1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Devious Dank Brandon at it again!

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Seventy-five million brain-dead imbeciles voting for Fat Orange Hitler.

We're all gonna be rich!

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My friend's a criminal defense attorney in St. Louis who seems to specialize in run-of-the-mill violent crimes.
    He'll tell you after a couple of beers that it's his experience that 99 percent of suspects put on trial are guilty, and that the idea that it's a 50/50 crapshoot is bullshit.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, the violent criminals that go to trial were first caught by police, which means their crimes were the easiest to solve and for which to collect evidence for trial. Open cases don't get to trial, and many violent crimes remain open cases for years or forever.

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Some of them are starting to get it. It only took eight and a half years.

These fuckers want a real hero so badly.

OscarMadison and Slacker like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never been called for jury duty, but I’m surprised being a journalist would be grounds to remove anymore. It turned out we were no more influential than the guy running a muffler shop.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have been called a bunch of times. Both civil and criminal. As a general proposition, in my experience. ... they don't seen to want anyone who is educated or who seems thoughtful. At least in my jurisdiction. Especially on the criminal trials. My first voir dire for a criminal trial, I was like the only person not doing a weak "My mother's sisters aunt was once a victim" thing to try to get the judge to excuse them. I really wanted to be on the jury, because I thought it would be interesting. I answered all of the questions sincerely, I told them I thought I would be impartial. . ... and the defense attorney used one of his peremptory challenges on me. Another man they questioned was somehow an American citizen. ... but didn't speak a word of English. At least he was pretending he couldn't understand English. He couldn't understand the attorney's questions and gave blank stares for a few of his answers. He was picked for the jury.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was in the jury pool for federal civil court. I had to call a recorded message each Friday for a month to find out if my number had been chosen for the following week. I forgot once and got a phone call and a fairly stern warning against doing that again.

My number was called twice, so I had to drive from Lawrence to Kansas City to be kicked off the juries after the first round of questioning.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Two of the beautiful things about where I live.

1) I get called. ... they do the "call this number". ... the first day you have to go in. ... and each of the last 3 times I was called, I was dismissed in 3 days or less. This last time, they excused me after one day (questioned for a case, wasn't chosen). I think I am exempt for the next 6 years.
    2) All of the courthouses, state and federal, are within walking distance from where I live. When I got called for Federal Court a while back, there were people who had to travel into the city from the suburbs. ... some of them coming from 90, 100 miles away. They may as well have been called for jury duty on Mars the way they were treating it. I had about a 10 minute walk.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Served on a DUI trial. Guy was pulled over on a pretext stop, blew an .05 (legal limit is .08 here) but the cop said he "acted impaired." Took 10 minutes in the jury room to find him not guilty. But we sat around and talked for another 20 minutes so it didn't look like we rushed things.

I enjoyed it. The trick question they ask potential jurors is, "Do you wait until you hear all the information and testimony before you make up your mind?"Anyone who says yes gets tossed by the defense attorney. A lot of potential jurors forget his client is innocent until proven otherwise.

Slacker likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ha, weird that the discussion has turned to jury duty - I'm 39, and just got my first summons in the mail this week, for the first week of May. I don't really have an explanation for why it took so long. I've only lived in two states, and always updated my license with moves and what not. My sister is 35, and she's gotten them four times. Like other posts in this thread, I'm assuming I might be excluded once they find out I was a cops and courts reporter for about a decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted