1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

How does firing them now protect him?

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't. It would be a well deserved act of retribution. They're lucky that Saint Tucker wasn't involved in the 20 specifically enumerated instances of actionable conduct.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea if Fox will fire those two.

But there were people on here saying that nothing will change at Fox News after the Dominion verdict, and I just can't see that.

For one, there is still other litigation pending and that settlement set the bar for how much the Smartmatic suit might cost Fox. These are not small dollar amounts for them.

For another, this isn't just Rupert Murdoch being able to piss away money on a vanity project. There are other shareholders in Fox Corp. who are now going to be suing management and the BOD and might see serious money, too.

There is also the insurance issue. ... They carry insurance, and putting aside that their premiums have likely become very substantial (whether the Dominion verdict gets covered or not), who is going to continue to insure them without stringent guarantees that that shit never happens again?

They might do token firings / jettisons just as an assurance to their insurer that things are different.

4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If we had turned Phil Williams loose on Trump he’d already be up for parole by now.

OscarMadison, TigerVols and Driftwood like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fox did fire Dobbs once Dominion and Smartmatic sued, so I guess something is better than nothing.

And it’s done little good. He’s just gone off the deep end further at whatever streamer he’s at now.

I remember when the guy was a straight-up financial journalist who seemed to know his shit, then he went batty after 9/11. Given where it happened, I imagine it had a deep personal affect on him.

HanSenSE and TowelWaver like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Even worse: "Byers also indicated that, if the two reporters are not fired from Fox News, Bartiromo and Pirro will be warned to “be careful” regarding risking committing libel in the future."

So they'll be fired. Unless they aren't. In which case they'll be sternly talked to. Unless they won't be.

The only thing missing is the clickbait headline: "TV news world erupts at Maria Bartiromo-Jeanine Pirro news"

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    HanSenSE and wicked like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm thankful every god damn day I've never had an editor who rode me to produce shit like that pump traffic. It turns my stomach to dig down into that story and piece together what the actual kernel of news was that compelled someone to slap together 500+ words, 495 of which are absolutely useless.

wicked and Liut like this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Didn't Bartitrimo used to have some actual credibility before she went full fascist shithead? Really worth it to throw your career away to suck that pig's cock. At least Rupert will stand behind you, right?

I can't imagine that stupid bitch Pirro ever had any credibility at anything

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She won an Emmy for a documentary on Google way back when . . . before Hollywood turned against her.

Draft saved Draft deleted