1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Like a lot of residents in LA - you don't notice the "work." Guessing it helps that the weather is good in the winter.

2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

I’m all for the move … so long as Vegas gets *this* team, the one with a .225 batting average and a starting rotation with an ERA north of 8.50.

Oh, and the same level of commitment to compete from ownership.

The novelty will wear off pretty damn quick.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting thing is that Vegas is the current Triple-A team of the ... Oakland A's.

4. DanOregon

The A's will always be "4A" - under this ownership. Billy Beane has worked some magic here and there - but I almost think the last few years they've been ordered to make sure the team is terrible - while the owners charge some of the highest ticket prices in the American League. Seriously.

matt_garth likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So they already own the territory, and don't have to pay rights fees to anyone for the territory. Like when O'Malley bought Wrigley Field and the LA Angels before heading out west, and one reason why the Giants were originally headed to MSP. They probably will owe some money to the PCL.

6. micropolitan guy

I probably missed it but is this move effective next season?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The A's lease runs through 2024.

8. DanOregon

Stadium not expected to be ready for four years.

I don't know what will happen to the Coliseum complex - but seriously, if a team were looking for a "new" location with ample surrounding population and great freeway and public transit availability AND parking - it might be the most prime real estate in the East Bay. Minutes from the airport to boot.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Stadium has yet to be designed and most of all, financed. Accurate headline would be "A's owner buys plot of land in Las Vegas" because so far that's all we've got.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

Man the lame-duck A's will be lucky to draw 80k next season. That's St. Louis Browns territory.

The Aviators PCL stadium holds 10k and is practically brand-new. It could serve as a temporary home with some upgrades.

Or, Buffalo is ready, has experience and an MLB-approved stadium.

maumann likes this.
  11. DanOregon

I hope John Fischer realizes that moving the A's out of Oakland will be in the first line of his obit - unless he wins a World Series in Vegas.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Aviators play way out in the boonies. And an A.L. West team playing in Buffalo probably isn't going to fly.

Draft saved Draft deleted