1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Really? He's not moving the Yankees or the Red Sox. They're drawing 11,000 and play in arguably the worst stadium in MLB. There are AAA stadiums that are better.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. If anyone cared about the A's they wouldn't be moving. They should have left years ago.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's also John Fisher - who hasn't done much of anything else of note. His parents founded the Gap and he's been the Woody Johnson of baseball owners. Dude funded an anti-Obama group in 2012.

4. nickp

nickp Active Member

Oakland went from having an MLB, NBA, and NFL team to now NOTHING at all

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Guess they can change the logo from "The Swingin' " A's to "The Movin' " A's.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And that's fine. But moving the A's out of a decrepit (I mean shit hole) stadium that no one wants to watch or play in with another MLB team just across the Bay 15 miles away is not the first line of his obit, which might not even reach 10 lines.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

NHL, too, but it's been a while. The Golden Seals played in Oakland until 1976.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ah MileHigh - you still sore about the Haas family buying the A's out from under Marvin Davis? :(:eek:o_O

I still think its going to be the first line of his obit. Is there a team with more Series championships that's moved?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think the whole idea of MLB franchises owning "territorial rights" to minor league cities went down the shitter decades ago.

I think with the example of the Twins at the front of the list, we're going to see teams adopt the Euro model of having the "reserve team" play right in your home market -- in essence, it'll be the JV team.

What is now Class AAA will become Class AA.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Athletics, Inc. have had 50 years to fix it.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No.
    The In-N-Out is out on Camrose.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So without a professional sports team, Oakland's basically Long Beach. Except Long Beach has a baseball team with a better record.

Living in Walnut Creek between 1972 and 1984, it was always way easier getting to the Mausoleum post-BART than Candestick. The weather was nicer. The view of the East Bay hills was prettier. But even back during the Swingin' A's era, the stadium wasn't a wonderful experience. Because it was a concrete circle, the last row of seats behind the plate at somewhere like Tiger Stadium were closer to the field than sitting right behind the dugouts at the Coliseum. Foul ground was ridiculous. And as I've said before, the third deck felt like you were directing air traffic at the airport down Hegenberger Road rather than watching a baseball game.

It worked for the Raiders, who only needed to fill the place eight or so times a season. But 81 games at a stadium surrounded by parking lots and next to the 66th Avenue federal housing project was less than ideal. (Candlestick wasn't much better.) The A's at least had great teams while the Giants were crappy, which gave the a slight advantage for years. But once San Francisco constructed a real baseball park and started playing exciting baseball, Oakland was never going to match that.

The Raiders (twice) and Warriors leaving only left the city in a much weaker negotiating position. Jack London Square was one last Hail Mary plan that wasn't feasible. As somebody pointed out, if they had chosen somewhere near the I-580/680 junction in Pleasanton before land prices went crazy-go-nuts, they might have saved the team and what was a small but enthusiastic corp of A's fans.

It's not as much of a slog to get from Contra Costa to Oracle, compared to the 'Stick. And with the new schedule, baseball fans will see their favorite teams at least every other year. But there was something fun about having the Tigers make two trips out west every year, even if Ken Holtzman and Vida Blue mowed them down like California poppies.

Honestly, the land on which the Coliseum sits has been worth way more as something other than a crumbling multipurpose stadium for decades. Maybe apartments/condos/tech/arts studio replacing that area would do more for Oakland's economy in the long run. And I'm guessing Coliseum Station will be renamed once they tear the ballpark down.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted