1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Years ago when I first started in DR marketing I found myself working with a brilliant tech guy who was helping our company on a whim. Turns out, he was the original Netflix CTO (before the term existed, I suspect). He said he was something like employee No 8.
    He told us that one day when the company was struggling to find a profit in shipping heavy VHS tapes through the mail, Reed Hastings was driving in his car and heard a segment on NPR about the newfangled thing, DVDs. He said Reed called the office and told them, "We've found our solution!"

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Reminded me of my old in laws. FIL was a good guy, but to keep peace at home he ignored the MIL being a complete terror. Very well done.

garrow likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just finished the series finale of Picard. It really does serve as a fitting end to The Next Generation. Some parts are predictable but still enjoyable. They also left the door open for a rumored spin-off series. I prefer "All Good Things," the final episode of TNG, but this was fun, too.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I know that it gets a lot of stick from the kids at cool lunch table, but that was a great season of Abbott Elementary.

jr/shotglass and garrow like this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

was absolutely phenomenal. Some issues with the plot as the changelings just kind of gave way at the end when they’re arguably the franchise’s biggest bad but whatever, was great to see them back

Rewatched the last scene of All Good Things after, of course, and was struck by Geordi saying basically lets make sure we dont drift apart…. And then most of them drift apart in this timeline too, albiet in very different ways.

6. outofplace

That is a good point, they did exactly what they had hoped to avoid.

I think pushing the Changelings aside makes sense because they weren't a part of TNG. They were DS9 villains. It makes more sense for the Borg to be the primary threat, as they often were in TNG.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Just started the last season of Mrs. Maisel. It takes a few minutes to adjust to the rhythms of Palladino speak.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Libraries. If you're near one who has a librarian who cares about such things. (Which, I am.)

If you're so inclined, too, there's one way or another to find just about every documentary out there.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

it does but the way they disappeared after the middle was a little wonky. Plot wise, they made the first 6-8 episodes some of the best Trek story telling in a long long time. Then the last 2-3 the nostalgia took over. Overall a great mix for a final send off, I felt

10. outofplace

Agreed. I guess I should put this in a spoiler. It is another example of the great feel Terry Matalas has for not just the characters, but the cast.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Enjoying Poker Face. Mostly impressed with the writing. In a world with hum-drum procedurals with initials at the start of their names - I find it refreshing to see a "new" take on the Columbo model. Lyonne is perfectly cast, each week feels fresh with uncertainty on how it will play out. Always appreciate a show where the guest stars are the real "stars" of a particular episode.

The "Time of the Monkey" episode with Judith Light and S. Epatha Merkerson was GOLD. OMG. So many great lines.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    sgreenwell and garrow like this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I thought it was a good nod to All Good Things. Like you, I think I prefer the AGT ending though.

Like that they kept the ending simple and avoided getting carried away with too many bows. Like everyone’s send off. Seven left me screaming at the TV.

I didn’t know I wanted a spin off until that final scene.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted