1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

BTW, THAT’s why they’re the Lions

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really don’t get the logic that it’s fine to place a non-NFL bet from your couch or your car, but you can’t do it at your locker.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Probably written that way to keep bookies off the property, in an age before anyone imagined a magic box in your pocket that connected you to the universe.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bummer because I’m watching the Hard Knocks Lions edition and Campbell and his staff are getting the Lions in the right direction.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think one major rationale would be if you get into gambling debt you’re more likely to throw a game

swingline likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I could get one person on a football team "on the hook" - I'd want it to be the trainer. Inside info, probably could lie and hold a player out if need be.

7. DanOregon

Is the NFL draft as much "rocket science" as people would tend to try and make us believe it is? I understand you could second-guess yourself a million times - but best player on the board and team needs should always be no. 1 (and 1a?) - and after that value. Teams live and die on their picks after the second round.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You can get into gambling debt on the same app when you are not in the facility. I am all for not gambling on the NFL, but if you are going to allow players to gamble on other sports, suspending them for over 1/3 of the season because they did so on team property is ridiculous.

HanSenSE and Hermes like this.
  9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would say the hit-or-miss on quarterbacks shows the challenge of finding the right player. We’ll see probably five QBs in the first round on draft day.

10. DanOregon

I think more teams would be better served doing deep-dives on their own organizations and ensuring a player can reach their full-potential with them - than the "due dillegence" they supposedly do on players. Don't know how many times I've seen QBs forced to play in a coach's "system" that doesn't match his skill-set, and the player is deemed the problem. Like these systems are biblical and can't be altered. Give me a break. You shouldn't spend as much time as teams do on the draft and then say "ultimately, its a crapshoot."

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's why I laugh when I hear draft people quote anonymous GMs concerning prospective qbs from this year's draft class.

So I am hearing judgements from the same people who miss on 50% of the first round qbs?

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Seahawks’ Super Bowl team was a prime example: Richard Sherman, K.J. Wright and of course Russell Wilson were all third round or later picks. And Doug Baldwin was an undrafted free agent.

Draft saved Draft deleted