1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Two team relocations in the past 50 years.

Like seeing Haley's Comet.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I wonder if micropolitan guy can confirm this, but I believe the A's have been in Oakland longer than they were in Philadelphia, which blows my mind since I saw the Kansas City A's play the Tigers as a kid.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My dad, serving in the Air Force at the time, was among the Grandstand Managers in 1951 who helped steer the St. Louis Browns to a 6-2 win over the Philadelphia Athletics at Sportsman's Park.

maumann likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Correct. A’s played 54 years in Philly, 13 in KC and now in their 56th in Oakland.

Jake from State Farm and maumann like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oakland now needs The Stuff to keep the A’s.

garrow likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So good that it’s Mark Davis throwing the most rocks at the A’s; “they squared on a lease for 10 yrs making it impossible for us to do anything and then they f**k Oakland”. Good for Mark.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Unrelated to anything, I begged my Mom to take me to an A’s game when we were visiting family in nearby Pleasanton in summer of 1988. Picked up one of these hats at the game because I’d seen fans wearing them at games on TV and I thought it was a clean look. God, I wish I’d kept some of this stuff. I had to have tossed thousands of dollars worth of Sports Specialties hats that are worth money now.

Vintage Oakland A’s Athletics Script Snapback Hat Sports Specialties Spellout | eBay

garrow likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I was at an APSE convention in Chicago in the 70s and Charlie Finley was the keynote speaker
    During the speech he got a couple of orange baseballs out of his pockets and tossed them to a couple of guys at a table, who caught them
    Charlie O said: “See, if those were white you would have dropped them.”

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The first trade I remember was Jerry Lumpe and Dave Wickersham from Kansas City for Rocky Colavito

maumann likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For those who mentioned Vegas being unwalkable… yeah. Tried to get to the aforementioned In n Out from the Strip and eventually gave up and called an Uber. It was also 80 degrees at night in early March, maybe that had something to do with it.

(I should probably save this for the creepy admissions thread, but the Strip is overrated. I was over it when I passed by the third Walgreens or maybe it was the third CVS.)

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Having gone there now five times in the last six years, the entire Las Vegas experience is overrated.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted