1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ultimately, any draft is 90 percent about where the player lands.....if Justin Herbert is a Commander and Chase Young a Charger, how different are their careers?

Justin Jefferson gets taken at three by the Lions instead of falling all the way to 22?

If Mariota had been taken by Tampa Bay and Tennessee ended up with Jameis?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper on the Colts using a lottery pick on Marshall Faulk (first ballot HOF): "This is why the Colts are always drafting in the lottery. This is a wasted draft pick."

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper must have the tapes on someone at ESPN. That guy is more wrong than he's right.

And fuck him and his helmet hair.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Although, amusingly, the one time a GM went off about Kiper on draft night it was because Kiper said it was dumb to trade up to take Trev Alberts with the 5th pick.

Alberts was a colossal bust.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My guess, and it's just a guess, as I don't think about Kiper much, is that his record is probably much like that of a middling NFL GM, except that Kiper's been there for decades, and middling NFL GMs tend to lose their jobs after 4-5 seasons.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, lottery pick?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

1) Kiper never said lottery. NFL doesn’t have a lottery
    2) He said it about not drafting Trent Dilfer.
    3) This came after the Colts drafted Trev Alberts not Faulk.

The quote was “To pass up a Trent Dilfer when all you have is Jim Harbaugh, give me a break. This is why the Colts are picking second every year in the draft and not battling for the Super Bowl like other teams.”

I have no love for Kiper. Think he’s a joke. But him saying draft lottery was too dumb even for him.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

2018 NFL Draft Listing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Look up any NFL draft and the majority of the all pros and pro bowers are in the top two rounds. The teams know who the top players are, but it’s not always a lock they will meet their expectations.

It’s also about who drafts them. Do they develop that player into a pro? Do they put a square player into a square hole or do they try and wedge them into a round hole offense or defense, which rarely works?

In today’s NFL, I really think the league is shifting away from the QB because of the prohibitive cost of keeping one for years 5-15 of their contract. Mahomes is the outlier.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Lol when’s the next faulty memory practice?

dixiehack and JC like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jalen Hurts's wealth manager begs to differ with your last sentence.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I have no lover for Kiper either, but as was said, he’s been around for a long time and back in the day, there wasn’t the type of draft coverage that there is now. It was a good way for ESPN to fill time and show football clips in the off season. Heck, it’s now a 3-day draft extravaganza.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Trey Lance is in THIS draft with his limited NFL experience, when does he go? Before Stroud? After? Maybe the Texans can pry him away with a two 2s with a possible upgrade. Pick up the edge rusher and "solve" the qb (for now). The Niners have to know their eating the 1s they gave up to get Lance right?

Draft saved Draft deleted