1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Listening to one of my journalism professors say essentially, “Oh, you’re fucked, son. That’s why I’m teaching!”

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My wife and I went into a BB&B last summer for the first time since 2016 and we were the only ones in the store at 2 p.m. on a Saturday.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The economy tanked in 2008 not because people who reported low incomes on their applications got home loans but instead because many borrowers lied and put inflated incomes in their application, frequently with the encouragement of the mortgage companies. The mortgage companies did not care if the applicant lied because the mortgage was going to be sold immediately and because the most corrupt operated with basically no oversight.

I don't know if this proposal is a good idea or not but I don't think it will lead to the wide scale corruption that existed in 2008.

tea and ease likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There’s a Bed Bath and Beyond next to the pet store I go to. I went in there once and spent way too much on shittily-made king sheets.

Overpriced awfulness seemed to be their MO.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The place made me claustrophobic in its heyday. Way too much stuff and too many people in a small space.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whichever side was pushing for it, the basic idea was the same — that people who were not in a financially viable position to buy homes were able to do so.

tea and ease likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bed, Bath & Great Beyond

maumann likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That everything was just fine and that there'd be jobs for copy editors until the end of time. Blame some of my journalism professors.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It seems to be they're just tinkering with the interest rates (low-credit score borrowers' rate is CLOSER to high-credit score borrowers, but it's still a higher rate. The gap just narrowed.).

If that makes the home more affordable, great. But the 2007ish problems arose from giving the mortgage to people who should not get one in the first place. And this doesn't seem to be doing that.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I believe this is only new mortgages because my >840 credit score and my current 2.9% mortgage would be seriously pissed off.

wicked likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We are kept distracted with culture wars to prevent class warfare.

Slacker, I Should Coco and wicked like this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted