1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Butbutbut we did!

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They took Nevermind to heart.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well ... MAGA is Pale Shelter. I mean, Everybody Wants To Rule The World ...

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“And uh, we don’t want you to think of this song in those terms because this song that we’re about to get you to help us with is not a nasty, obscene song. It is a love song, from a slightly different point of view, that’s all. And before we sing it we just want to bring you a little message of peace, prosperity, and hope in such a trouble world today. But Reverened Jim has a few things he thinks could work to solve our world problems and our world tensions.”

“First of all, we send all the presidents of the savings and loans associations over to run the country of Iraq. That would solve two problems right there. And world peace, I’ve got an answer for world peace. We take the money that it’d cost us to build just one B-1 bomber, that one that doesn’t work. We change it into five dollar bills. We put all of this money into bags and we fly over the Atlantic Ocean, past Europe because they’re getting their shit togehter anyway. We drop this money on the Russian people. All those little tiny pictures of Abraham Lincoln come tumblin’ down out of the sky. I want them to feel those sawbucks in their hands. You know how your money feels when you accidently leave it in your blue jeans and you take it out and it’s all warm and soft, oooh! Well we let those Russian people hang on to that money for about a week and then we fly back over there. We fill our airplanes full of mail order catalogs from L.L. Bean. From up in Columbus, Sporty’s Pilot Shop. And Victoria’s Secret! The Russian people have this money in their hand, the catalogs come down. They look at those pictures on the opening pages of the Victoria’s Secret catalog, not back in the outdoors section, you know what I’m talking about right? They got the money, they got the catalogs, they’re going to get the idea. They send all the money back to us to buy the stuff. We have full employment. There’s world peace, and the Russians have crotchless underwear through the twenty-first century! Thank you!”

dixiehack likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A few details to serve as a Michigan threadjack and add some context. One, these aren't just a bunch of hick farmers. Ottawa County has 300,000 residents and is the seventh-largest county in Michigan (the first three are Metro Detroit, fourth is Kent (Grand Rapids), fifth is Genesee (Flint) and sixth is Washtenaw (Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti).

Ottawa County includes part of the city of Holland, which has given us, among others, Kirk Cousins, Betsy de Vos and her brother, Erik Prince. And your West Michigan Christian nationalists are different from your Baptists and non-denoms, because most of them are Reformed, which means they're descended from 18th- and 19th-century Dutch Calvinists. They don't need to moderate their message to get your attention because they're going to heaven and you were going to hell anyway.

It also includes a lot of lakeshore property like Grand Haven, which is delightful during the summer but probably full of a lot of people who don't want to pay property taxes on their lakefront parcels.

In short, this isn't that novel. This has always been the most conservative part of the state (I mean, other than the militia-ey parts that have counties that don't have 20,000 people), and now that Traverse City has gotten more cosmopolitan (that's where the Buttigiegs are now) and Grand Rapids looks and votes much more like a normal American city in the 21st century than it did in the 20th, this is kind of the core of what remains of what some of us remember of West Michigan. They're meaner than they used to be, sure, but that's because they've experienced losing on things like Obergefell. Unlike their parents and grandparents, their culture doesn't always set the agenda.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just watched the Ray Epps interview on 60 Minutes. As best I can tell there’ s no evidence connecting him with the FBI. The fact that he wasn’t arrested (yet), by itself, means nothing. There’s no paper trail, payroll records or anything like that. A cherry-picked text say “I orchestrated it” doesn’t man anything.
    The best evidence they have that he works for the FBI, is that there’s no evidence he doesn’t.

Ray Epps, a Jan. 6 protester now at the center of a far-right conspiracy, says he relives the Capitol riot every day

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

They shouldn’t have shown that expensive RV. That thing is probably worth over $300K. Not something you see in your average KOA.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The fact that CBS at this point wasted resources on that crap is stunning.

tea and ease and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Where’s the proof he’s working for the FBI, though??

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Excellent post. I remember the old saying around West Michigan, “If you ain’t Dutch, you ain’t much.”

And while Holland and Grand Haven are great in the summer, good luck in the winter. No wonder all the Trumpers who live there are mean and hateful.

Trump himself wouldn’t last an hour being there in January!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do you spend much time in KOAs?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted