1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Free open mic. Especially for wonks who never got a moment's notice outside of that space.

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

There's still that whole feeling like high school again.

It's the only place someone like Clay Travis can pretend to be a supervillain, and play the part badly, and keep the part.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That just isn't true. Tesla and Space X are stand alone companies. Even if he wanted to fold Tesla into a holding company. ... it's not his to do it with. The company is publicly traded. He is the majority sharedholder, but not the only shareholder.

X Corp. is new. He just registered it a month or two ago. So far its only holding is Twitter.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

cuck rogers in the 25th century

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He is literally sticking a wet finger up every morning, chasing the prevailing wind. What a tool bag.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup.

None of this has anything to do with speech or public squares.

It has everything to do with him being tens of billions of dollars in to something that is objectively worth less than half of what he paid for it, and the leveraged financing he used to make the purchase putting him on the clock to find a way to earn way more money than the business as it existed ever earned. He's got to make his nut soon on the loans.

He has no idea how to earn turn the business into something that earns way more money than it ever has, so he is desperately trying to monetize things. ... he aggressively cut expenses, sold everything that wasn't bolted down. ... and attempted to drive subscriptions via the checkmark scheme.

Unfortunately for him, people don't subscribe to things unless there is a value proposition for them, and that checkmark / prioritization isn't that valuable to most people who use Twitter. It was kind of predictable, but not to him.

Then add in that he has been such an unlikeable douche that he somehow managed to turn the checkmark into something that now has a negative stigma, and he not only isn't monetizing anything, he's hurt the brand badly and lost some of the revenue the company used to have.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My last tweet was 11 days ago. I think it will be my last ever. Really enjoyed the platform for a long time but having it out of my life has been pretty refreshing.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Yes. And three people who always elicit "cheers" from the MAGA faithful.

Draft saved Draft deleted