1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was in his closing argument. Do you think he'd be saying that if his client didn't approve?

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

My guess is 538 will remain, b/c Disney now owns the name, brand, site, etc. It won't do any more interesting sports coverage but will continue getting election results hilariously wrong, albeit without Nate declaring the process was great and everything fell within the margin of error he "predicted."

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I think it was more the $$$ he was costing Fox
    Murdoch knows all the stuff that was redacted from the Dominion transcripts
    The ones where Tucker was bitching about Fox executives and calling female employees the C word

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Merrick Garland snoozes on

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In Tuckie's defense, Sydney Powell is most definitely a Call Us Next Tuesday, as well as a heifer. Hell, let's throw in "dumb bitch" while we're at it.

Truth is an absolute defense. And in the pursuit of accuracy, Tuckie Boy could qualify for pretty much all those labels as well.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

He may lose the brand name, but he retains all of the rights to the data models.

Disney has laid off pretty much everyone from 538, so they're going to have an empty brand name. It will mean nothing.

Also, suggesting Nate Silver has gotten election predictions wrong is misunderstanding his model and his process. For 2016, for example, his model gave Trump a higher percentage of winning than most others. It was still an "upset," but it was a clear path that they laid out prior to the election.

He's also been good at identifying bad trends in polls, such as herding, and pushed back against some of the incorrect narratives about polling. Remember - he doesn't conduct polls. Others do. He takes the data, compares/contrasts, incorporates other historical data points, and plugs it all into his model for a larger viewpoint than one single poll can provide.

Where he's gotten into trouble is when he's veered toward punditry instead of sticking to the data analysis. That's certainly been a mistake.

wicked and I Should Coco like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think it was an "all of the above". Carlson was a liability in too many ways, firing him will get them a lot of publicity. Tucker was getting really expensive, and not only was he widely disliked but quoted insulting hell out of ownership in private texts? Sack his ass and smile at his shock.

Slacker likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So has his godawful ball cap.

upload_2023-4-25_15-57-49.jpeg

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Thanks, I missed that detail about Nate retaining the data models. My guess is he'll do something new for next year

As for Nate and how wrong he is...you're right, he was more right than anyone else in 2016. He said to anyone who'd listen that Trump had a 1-in-3 chance of winning. Not a great chance, but certainly a legitimate one. Most of us laughed at how stupid Trump was and didn't take seriously the concept that enough of the country could be stupid enough to vote for him simply b/c they preferred the loud racist sexist rapist to a woman. I know I was mad the long shot came in and initially blamed Nate, which was wrong.

But he was awful in 2022. There were a ton of bad faith R-commissioned polls that he included in his model and it tilted the races decidedly towards the Republicans. He'll say the results fell within the projected results of the model, but he's New York state being run by competent Democrats away from getting both branches wrong. Even he didn't think the Democrats had a chance at salvaging a split. He had one of those cloying "Q&As" with a staffer in which he ran down all the reasons the Republicans would win the night and ended it with an off-handed comment that the Democrats officially had a 45% chance of winning the Senate.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-case-for-a-democratic-surprise-on-election-night/

He was way, way, way off and his methodology was the reason why. Add into the equation his idiot punditry, especially his contrarian hand-wringing about all the damage that was done by being TOO cautious in the early days of the pandemic, and unfollowing him a day or two after Election Day was the easiest decision I've ever made, even if it was a little disappointing b/c he might have been the first non-friend I ever followed on the bird app.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ah, so it’s not the fault of the people who are banning the procedure, it’s the fault of the media who are reporting on the people who are banning the procedure.

Personal responsibility indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted