1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is insane, the old 'step over a quarter to pick up a dime'. Every draft slot is worth well more than an agent's cut. They have access to the best training. They put your client in the best possible light. It would be asinine to skimp on this incredibly important earnings period.

JC likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My point was - with players making serious jack in college now, they could fund the prep themselves and hire someone cheaper than a lawyer - PR team or whatever. Agents do minimal lawyering in the lead-up to the draft.

3. DanOregon

It always amuses me thinking of sports drafts as the ultimate "schoolyard pick." And these athletes who have probably always been the "first pick" in those, find it weird having to wait.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tens of millions of dollars are at stake. Why in the F would you be fucking around skimping to save a few bucks?

Unreal.

2muchcoffeeman and JC like this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They do?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are like Yankeefan when it comes to the draft. Hammering the same point over and over. We get it, mocks are rarely right, QB’s will fail, nobody know a thing.

7. DanOregon

Well, honestly - I really don't know what all an agent does directly to get a client drafted higher, that you couldn't get from a coach. Unless said agent is "plugging leaks" and helping bury damaging info, arranging NDAs that might cause you to slide. In that case, you're damn right I want the best lawyer/agent in town.
    And lets not pretend that doesn't happen more than a little with some of these draft picks.

8. DanOregon

Ok.

BitterYoungMatador2 and Liut like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

More thoughts…

That bling with the person’s face looked like it came from an Etsy shop.

There were some very attractive “fans” for teams that I think might have been hired to cheer. All female.

10. DanOregon

I'm guessing ESPN "scouted" those looking to enter the fan zone and gave "front of stage" passes to a dozen or so of every teams fans, with an emphasis on those in costume and looks so their cameras would be able to get fan "reaction shots" more readily.

Liut likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I called bullshit last night when I saw more than five "hardcore" Commanders fans there...

Tighthead and Liut like this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I clicked "Show Ignored Content" to find out who you were responding to. "Shocking" to discover it's the a-hole who probably helped Elliotte Friedman decide "The hell with this place."

Draft saved Draft deleted